VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the T5 family so please bear with me!

Picking up our T5 SWB kombi in midnight blue in a couple of weeks and I can't wait! This has been on the cards for ages and finally managed to find a nice van at a good price! T:

I've been doing lots of research for the past year, mostly on here, and am leaning towards not going down the conversion path and keeping it as simple as possible. Thinking full insulation, heater and electrics. Will keep the 2+1 kombi seating arrangement and get a bed that goes over it. Have looked at everything out there in terms of replacing the seats (RIB, Bebb, etc) but like the look of the Reimo B&S and the Exploria.

What are people's experiences? One better than the other? Exploria is cheaper and I like the fact that I can keep the +1 seat in the van and it's cheaper. Reimo is probably the better brand though? So...:confused:

Will be posting pics soon and try to attend local meet ups. Also going to the Vanfest in September so if anyone wants to hook up give me a shout.

Oh and BTW I'm in Bristol so if anyone can recommend someone to do the insulation (have heard of Autohaus in Minehead and SOS Bodyworks in Brizzle). All recommendations and advice welcome!

Cheers,
Matt

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts
Hi all,

New to the T5 family so please bear with me!

Picking up our T5 SWB kombi in midnight blue in a couple of weeks and I can't wait! This has been on the cards for ages and finally managed to find a nice van at a good price! T:

I've been doing lots of research for the past year, mostly on here, and am leaning towards not going down the conversion path and keeping it as simple as possible. Thinking full insulation, heater and electrics. Will keep the 2+1 kombi seating arrangement and get a bed that goes over it. Have looked at everything out there in terms of replacing the seats (RIB, Bebb, etc) but like the look of the Reimo B&S and the Exploria.

What are people's experiences? One better than the other? Exploria is cheaper and I like the fact that I can keep the +1 seat in the van and it's cheaper. Reimo is probably the better brand though? So...:confused:

Will be posting pics soon and try to attend local meet ups. Also going to the Vanfest in September so if anyone wants to hook up give me a shout.

Oh and BTW I'm in Bristol so if anyone can recommend someone to do the insulation (have heard of Autohaus in Minehead and SOS Bodyworks in Brizzle). All recommendations and advice welcome!

Cheers,
Matt
Hi

We did this for a customer a couple months ago, transformed it from a panel to Kombi with 2+1 Exploria bed and cassette storage system for his Antique drawers.. Exploria bed is well made, trim matches perfectly, and the customer loves it, used it loads already for shows he attends

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @Absolut5 - thanks for your quick reply! Your work looks really sweet! I like the idea of having the storage space under the bed flexible and maybe even remove the bed if we not camping over winter or something.

I am leaning towards Exploria so glad to hear some good reviews!

Is it possible to squeeze a table of sorts between original Kombie 2+1 seats and front seats?

·
Registered
861 Posts
You can get a swivel seat at the front but knees will be touching.
We've got the exploria bed its a very well made piece of kit. It is very heavy and definitely a 2 man job to pull out. The rear mattress is fixed on so if you have a garage or shed that is not 100℅ waterproof you could quite easily get mould and the like.
The bed is OK, I used a mattress topper it was quite hard as a bed. I like keeping the storage and when the bed is out you have the best of both worlds.
I previously had a ,multi van seat bed in a t4 whose position is fixed unlike the reimo with multi options
Make sure you consider price kombi seats can make when considering the cost of the conversion.
They normally go for 700 ish so could recoup some cost.
Best get the van and live with it for a bit. Its like getting a house and knocking walls down before you use it

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is mine:

Bought it off another member on here.

The legs fix in to the tie down holes.
Then the bed ejects out over the folded down double seat.

Then there are two bits of plywood that cover each section.
And two mattresses.

Have been thinking about getting it copied as it works really well.
The bed is giant too, and tons of storage.
Slept in it for 2 weeks and it was really comfy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@johnso - Thanks for your reply, really helpful! Always tempting to rush in and get something done for the sake of having something. I don't really like the idea of weighing the van down with a heavy bed, think my kids stuff will already do that lol! Also didn't realise there would be so little between front row and bed with swivel seats (have three front row seats so thinking of turning the double passenger ones into swivel). Very tempted now to get Autohaus to put a RIB bed in, move the whole thing back a bit and fit a nice table as well. Will need to get a quote soon but already advised of at least a 12 week wait!

@cobb888 - Nice looking set up! Is the bed a particular make or was it home made? Would love to have some living space between bed and front row but realise that might be too much to ask for a swb. Think I will follow johnso's suggestion and get the van first, live with it for a while, maybe even dump an inflatable mattress in the back for starters and see what we really need.

Bottom line is I can't bloody wait for my van! Team Blue here I come! T:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts