VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I'm struggling to choose between the two.
The prices are similar, the good fitters will fit either, both have fantastic reputations and solid track records for reliability and longevity ... so what are the other considerations?
I have heard that head height might be an issue because some beds are double hinged, allowing better head room to the back, while others are single hinged, meaning it's a bit low at the back.
Any other inputs would be most welcome. They're both expensive options, so deserve considerable research. :confused:
Many thanks in advance.
Regards
Roger

·
Registered
182 Posts
We've got an SCA but not the cheapest one. It has a sliding section over front seats to hold up the excess fabric when roof is closed. Also cabin be closed when in use as a bed at night. The cheaper version just has Velcro straps from what I remember. No idea what Reimo has but worth checking that. We have LWB so think we couldn't have one with extra roof height as it wasnt an option. Don't find it an issue though and my husband is 6ft2.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Reimo here. Can't fault it. Has the double hinged bed so LOADS of head room the full length of the back of the van when not in use. My only criticism is that the rubber bead around the edge of the roof sometimes sticks to the van when its not been used in a while. Think Reimo themselves suggest a fix but to be honest, its 2 seconds to run around the van and push the beading back on when needed. A small downside to a great bit of kit.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
Bear in mind that if you are ever unfortunate enough to have to remove the canvas it's quite an easy job on an SCA, I believe on a Reimo it's a complete mission. SCA's have a double hinged bed base too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ours is a LWB SCA, the bed board is one piece. I believe the SWB one is hinged in the middle.
My edge seal stuck to the roof so asked Three Bridge who fitted it, they suggested wiping any silicone product along the seal. Next spring I'll find out whether this works!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Both great bits of kit, and I was torn between the two but plumped for the SCA purely for asthetic reasons...
I liked the look of the front spoiler on the SCA rather than the black rubber strip sported by the Reimo.

Another consideration may be the amount of weight each of the roofs can safely carry (if you're planning on using a rack or bars of course...) as I believe the SCA roof has a slight advantage over the Reimo I:

Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed !

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,759 Posts
Ours is a LWB SCA, the bed board is one piece. I believe the SWB one is hinged in the middle.
My edge seal stuck to the roof so asked Three Bridge who fitted it, they suggested wiping any silicone product along the seal. Next spring I'll find out whether this works!
My SCA on a LWB is double hinged.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for the replies so far. Please keep 'em coming. I'm tending more for the SCA194 at this stage, but not 100% decided yet.

An interesting point that some fitters have raised is that when both roofs are lowered, the finished height of the SCA is 199cm, while the Reimo is slightly over 2m. This may seem like a minor difference to most, but I drive on French motorways very regularly and their autodetecting kit at the motorway toll gates is set to 2m. Under 2m and you pay the expensive car rates ... above 2m and you pay the outrageously expensive tall vehicle rates.

Has anyone got any experiences to report with either SCA or Reimo --- good or bad?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The height thing doesn't bother me with the Reimo as I'm lowered ~100mm anyway ;)

Sail under the 2m barriers at Ikea and I reckon I'd just squeeze under a 1.90m

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Many thanks for the replies so far. Please keep 'em coming. I'm tending more for the SCA194 at this stage, but not 100% decided yet.

An interesting point that some fitters have raised is that when both roofs are lowered, the finished height of the SCA is 199cm, while the Reimo is slightly over 2m. This may seem like a minor difference to most, but I drive on French motorways very regularly and their autodetecting kit at the motorway toll gates is set to 2m. Under 2m and you pay the expensive car rates ... above 2m and you pay the outrageously expensive tall vehicle rates.

Has anyone got any experiences to report with either SCA or Reimo --- good or bad?
I used the French autoroutes down as far as Geneva last winter, and with the Sanef Liber-T tag attached to the windscreen was able to use the Class 1 (less than 2m) telepeage lanes at all of the toll plazas.
I'm not sure of the total height of the van, but it's a SWB model (standard springs) with an SCA194 pop top and at the time she was wearing 16" steels shod with winter tyres.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
We fitted Reimo for years and moved over to SCA a few years ago. In the past 18months or more, we have fitted nothing else.
The 194 is, in my opinion, one of the best roofs you will fit. Certainly its not perfect, but in my experience its as good as you are going to get. The operation of the roof is simple. Its quite heavy (but well built), The underside is clean and smooth due to a sandwich molding process. It can take 50kg load . The top is free of ridges, so if you really want to stick a solar panel on then you can with little hassle. The roof rack mounting position is outside of the canvas and the roof has no through bolts at all. The aluminium framed / beech slatted upper bed is way more comfortable than any other pop top bed.
So yes, the 194 gets my vote . I wont fit anything else nowT:T:T:T:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts