VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long time readers, first time question asker! Almost everything has already been covered, but I can't find a thread on this surprisingly.

I've seen there are a variety of roofs out there which are based upon the Reimo design. And, notably they are all cheaper!

I've read up on a few of them and Skyline Roofs talk about using thicker gauge steel supports than the Reimo ones. Does anyone know how thick the Reimo supports are, both those at the front and back and along the sides. Is there any reason to make them thicker, or heavier gauge metal?

Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
Wouldn't worry a shedload about the steel thickness of the scissor-hinges. I've a Reimo and the steel is clearly stronger than it needs to be - plenty over-spec'd.

There's so much more to ask... quality and thickness of the GRP, the quality and durability of the tenting material, the quality of stitching, the quality and strength of the additional framing that replaces the roof, the strength and weight of the roof-bed...

For example, I can dump a couple of sea-kayaks directly on my Reimo roof and it doesn't even noticably bend, let alone buckle.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wouldn't worry a shedload about the steel thickness of the scissor-hinges. I've a Reimo and the steel is clearly stronger than it needs to be - plenty over-spec'd.

There's so much more to ask... quality and thickness of the GRP, the quality and durability of the tenting material, the quality of stitching, the quality and strength of the additional framing that replaces the roof, the strength and weight of the roof-bed...

For example, I can dump a couple of sea-kayaks directly on my Reimo roof and it doesn't even noticably bend, let alone buckle.
As above but with a couple of canoes, no movement or flexing.

Cheers
Tim

·
Registered
794 Posts
Now that's what a VW should look like T: Can you still open the pop-top and sleep inside? I can with one sea kayak or one Royalex canoe... not tried with both up there yet. Got standard gas-struts and they cope fine with plenty to spare. Mine's the old-shape roof tho'.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Now that's what a VW should look like T: Can you still open the pop-top and sleep inside? I can with one sea kayak or one Royalex canoe... not tried with both up there yet. Got standard gas-struts and they cope fine with plenty to spare. Mine's the old-shape roof tho'.
Thanks, as for raising the roof with boats on for us its a no �� we have tried it with two kayaks and the roof just slowly comes down, a friend has his roof up with one kayak on, not sure I'd risk going "up" with a canoe on top. So we bought an inflatable canoe �� you just can't have too many boats can you?

Cheers
Tim

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I've never used their elevating roofs but I can verify that the quality and strength of their high top is excellent. I would recommend Concept Multi Car at Hythe for fitting http://www.conceptmulti-car.co.uk/ as they have done excellent work for me in the past.

Rod
I would recommend the quality of the high top roofs supplied from them, but the fitting and customer service is the worst i have ever come across and that's from the lady owner :(

·
Registered
794 Posts
It's also worth noting that other-brand pop-tops and high-tops aren't necessarily copies of Reimo. Some - maybe most - have been developed independently.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
I would recommend the quality of the high top roofs supplied from them, but the fitting and customer service is the worst i have ever come across and that's from the lady owner :(
thats really surprising
I always use them for supply only and Ive always found customer service to be excellent T:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I am very surprised at that comment as I have always found them extremely helpful. They have supplied parts and roof fitting services to me over the past four years without any problems and would recommend them to anyone.

Rod

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I am very surprised at that comment as I have always found them extremely helpful. They have supplied parts and roof fitting services to me over the past four years without any problems and would recommend them to anyone.

Rod
From the onset of our order we were let down at all stages by Hillary, whom i believe is one of the owners.
She emailed the day before fitting was meant to commence to say the roof hadn't arrived, then 10 minutes later emailed back to say it was there :* We live nearly 400 miles away but choose them due to their "reputation" so had booked a hotel ect for an overnight stay.
They scratched our newly painted bumpers and when questioned blamed a poor paint job not her staff?
The roof had a mark on it that wasn't pointed out to us (yes and we missed it on collection because of the height of the roof) and when questioned Hillary said that because we were on a tight time frame (it was being converted elsewhere a couple of weeks after the roof was fitted) she chose not to mention it to us?
Our reimo awning brackets we ordered on her say so didn't fit.
Our windows failed.
Our reimo rail leaked water when the awning was open and it rained due to no sealant over the length of the door as you could see daylight
Yes they rectified the awning brackets, windows and leaking rail at their cost but the customer service was appalling.
the list is endless and not once did we get an apology from her or her company, in fact i have some very derogatory emails from her slating me as a customer :(

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'm very saddened to hear your tail of woe. I am only speaking from experience as no doubt are you.

I did have an issue with the Reimo rails but that was due to Reimo Germany. It was sorted by Concept in the best way possible without any problems.

I like you have a good way to travel, not quite as far (240 miles each way) but far enough however made easier by being a regular Chunnel user.

Rod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts