VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a can of worms but thought the question might help others making their minds up.
I'm over looking for budget options on my conversion as I will most likely keep the van and get my moneys worth out of it.
So anybody with experience of either POP TOP would be more than welcome to throw info into the mix.
I know there is a fair bit of info already on here but it is all over the place and I can't seem to find a direct comparison / plus or minus.
Just for starters I'm swaying towards the SCA for a few reason I can find that suggest it may be a better roof for carrying roof rack - surf boards.
It also seems thinner.
Taller
better looking IMHO I like front section lip.
tidy looking inside especially in the deluxe form
but I'm sure reimo has the history & reputation
If I could find a poll section I would have done that.
I:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I looked into both, chose the Reimo, but ended up going for the poptoproofs.co.uk one - good reviews, nothing majorly bad and the price was great, and as I'm fitting it myself should come in at under £1800 colour coded and fitted T:

The SCA is the better roof on paper, it can carry 70kg wheras Reimo only 30kg. SCA has a removable canvas wheras the Reimo one is built in and not easy to replace.

Personally I don't like the look of the front pod on the SCA, it's stuck on with mastic and unless your van is white or black you'll see the sealer, and the front pod traps water which then pours in through the window or when you open the door, altho I have seen some vans with lengths of rubber stuck down the side to stop this or fitting a Reimo multirail to both sides

·
Registered
571 Posts
The pop top roofs is good, fitted one myself and I am very happy, when you start just take your time, cutting the roof off is the easy bit, enjoy :ILU:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Same as Sambas- I was all set to go for a SCA but ended up chosing a Reimo, then decided to get a poptop.co.uk as they could fit it the following week and it was only 2 miles from my house! In hindsight I wish I'd have waited the 4 months lead time they'd quoted and gone for the SCA.

Main selling point for the SCA was the ability to put my kayak up there. Always handy to have a roof rack.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went for the SCA, I'm booked into Three Bridges Campers for a full conversion start of the 2nd week in Jan. As the waiting lead time wouldn't allow for a SCA order I managed to get a placement for supply & fit from Freebird conversions next week!!!! SO and SCA fitted locally is also a bonus.
I personally really like the spoiler on the front and the rain issue is present on my mk v Golf gti to a certain extent. I can't be any worse than getting soaked while driving in the rain with a Splitscreen with safari's!!!
Well excited.
Here is a CAD of the my Sportline design ( I have a red mk1 sportline)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I like the sca but most I've seen the roof does not close flush to the front pod, it seems to sit 10-15mm higher than pod?! Or is that bad installer?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reading about fibre glass it could be down to many reasons, I'm getting it fitted by a supplier so hopefully that will have some kind of guarantee. they do look better than any other pop tops in my opinion. Fingers crossed it will be a good choice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just got my Deluxe SCA fitted at Freebird; picked it up last week and can't fault the quality & fit (flush with front spoiler)
It's worth the extra £400 for the aluminium sliding door & pro-look tumbler lock as it stops the tent fabric ruining the look of the cab when closed and it's solid on the motorway - can't tell if it's quieter than the tin top, but it may well beT:
The only downside is the supply time from Germany, mine was about 3 months
I'm getting mine wrapped for £100ish as opposed to paint at another £400:eek:

I didn't go for the Reimo because I had a MK1 Golf Convertible for 15 years and the noise from the front seal drove me mental at m-way speeds and was worried the Reimo would develop the same problem if the rubber seal failed.

£3,925 all-in by the way!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted the deluxe but I had to go with whats in stock! so very pleased with the SCA, I did think about getting the roof wrapped! Glad your pleased with your SCA roof.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Curved worktops look great but where do you put your coffee without it ending up on the floorLOL:
on the flat bit.... I: and if you're driving along it'll go on the floor regardless. style wins over practicality this time :ILU:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
on the flat bit.... I: and if you're driving along it'll go on the floor regardless. style wins over practicality this time :ILU:
IWhat flat bit? Oh that little bit at the other endI:

Don't get me wrong, looks awesome but you loose so much worktop with the design and having had a camper for last 2 years space is at a premium!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I went for the SCA, I'm booked into Three Bridges Campers for a full conversion start of the 2nd week in Jan. As the waiting lead time wouldn't allow for a SCA order I managed to get a placement for supply & fit from Freebird conversions next week!!!! SO and SCA fitted locally is also a bonus.
I personally really like the spoiler on the front and the rain issue is present on my mk v Golf gti to a certain extent. I can't be any worse than getting soaked while driving in the rain with a Splitscreen with safari's!!!
Well excited.
Here is a CAD of the my Sportline design ( I have a red mk1 sportline)
that three bridge conversion is awesome A:

·
Registered
160 Posts
IWhat flat bit? Oh that little bit at the other endI:

Don't get me wrong, looks awesome but you loose so much worktop with the design and having had a camper for last 2 years space is at a premium!!

Until you have used one you can't really comment on the useability of a Three Bridge Conversion, Space is at a premium in a T5 but I have to laugh at these comments on here.
Someone p.m'd me about how it looked nice but surely the curves on the wardrobe take away valuable space, people need to get out more tbh.

The only thing about a Three Bridge Conversion is having to open the side door as a large group of people congregate round your van looking in.

·
Registered
162 Posts
when i forgot to take a half empty bottle of wine off the side and drove off the next day (i've no idea why it was only half empty) I: the bottle just slid around the curve and then landed in my bag with very little noise, i hadn't even noticed until that evening and all my clothes were wet....

either that or i ed myself. LOL:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Another aspect is in a crash it's better to have a curve behind u than a sharp edge

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not really concerned about premium space, as I have opted for extra draws & storage . Most people I know with campers use an awning more and cook out side! I want a conversion that looks a bit different from the rest. This conversion will be a keeper so I will personalise it to my tastes but if the S- Line department did do campers I would like to think this would be somewhere close.
The pull out table above the fridge is a stroke of genius! if I go for a gas hob I will defo be ticking the table box.
One of the main things that strike me about the Three Bridges team is the confidence I got, after all I'm not going to give my van to anybody to hack into.
I got totally let down today with the SCA roof with a local company, don't really want to say more about that other than I will most probably now end up with a reimo fitted by Three Bridges but at least I will be confident in the workmanship and the product.
You do get what you pay for in most thinks in life which is a lesson I've learnt many times.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Until you have used one you can't really comment on the useability of a Three Bridge Conversion, Space is at a premium in a T5 but I have to laugh at these comments on here.
Someone p.m'd me about how it looked nice but surely the curves on the wardrobe take away valuable space, people need to get out more tbh.

The only thing about a Three Bridge Conversion is having to open the side door as a large group of people congregate round your van looking in.
Oooooooo tetchy!! I'm not fussed about showing off my van, like I said looks nice but we would struggle with lack of worktop space. We've found table isn't really practicle when set up for camping as it gets in the way too much, good for a spot of lunch on a day trip thoT:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts