VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

We've just picked up our T5 camper having been in for conversion for the last 5 weeks. We're thrilled with the Van but disappointed/confused about the Reimo Varitech 333 seat we had fitted. We have two small kids under 4 and the main reason for choosing this seat is because it is on rails and we understood we could lock it in different positions when travelling. When it was demo'd to us when picking it up there is actually only one position that it locks in, about level with the open sliding door. We wanted to be able to lock it further forward so we could easily pass stuff back to the kids but this doesn't seems to be possible. There are forward holes in the rails but the Reimo seat cannot be pushed far enough forward to reach them as it is blocked by the front passanger seat.

The guy who did the conversion is a very professional outfit (I won't name) and appeared to know what he was talking about and seemed confident that there is actually only one locked position available for passenger use.

Am I missing something as it appears the main reason we bought the seat isn't actually possible? Has anyone been able to sucessfully lock this seat immediately behind the front seats safely for passenger use?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both.

So it seems that the seat definitely should be able to lock into the front position. If you see in the photo our forward holes are a little further forward than the middle of the door so I wonder if that is the issue? Saying that if they where positioned further back the "normal" seating position would also be much further back and I'm not sure this is possible.

Could anyone send a photo of their inside rail so I can compare.

(p.s. our cupboards are not as blue as the picture shows!)

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Thanks both.

So it seems that the seat definitely should be able to lock into the front position. If you see in the photo our forward holes are a little further forward than the middle of the door so I wonder if that is the issue? Saying that if they where positioned further back the "normal" seating position would also be much further back and I'm not sure this is possible.

Could anyone send a photo of their inside rail so I can compare.

(p.s. our cupboards are not as blue as the picture shows!)
I cant see your pictures. Maybe the album isn't public? Can you host it on photobucket or elsewear.

The front locating hole on our rails is 78cm back from the handbrake cover (this is a LWB) and when in this position the seat of the seat cushion is about 50cm back from the handbrake. Do you have the 2 oval cutouts either side to allow you to lift out the seat? On our old T4 SWB van I think the rear leg room was less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Bobley

I've made my photo public now. There is obviously a difference in space between the SWB and LWB but looking at the photos your hole order is different to mine. From the front I have the single round hole followed by the long oval hole, then the single round hole that the seat is currently locked into followed by the longer oval hole.

I spoke to a friend who also has the Reimo 333 seat and she was convinced she could lock the seat into the front hole but actually when she tried she was unable to. Her rail is set up exactly as ours is but installed by a completely different company.

Very strange...

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I have only fitted the lwb, but looking at your photos, the seat should sit ok over the holes....all be it with little legroom.
Have you checked if the pins are getting misaligned. If you try to position the seat, it may be that the pins need a helping hand to lock down. These seats require absolute precision when fitting. 1mm out, and it can be difficult to align.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
IDFBI

This is the link to the genuine Reimo SWB rails which states in the title 1 Fahrpos (1 travelling position)

http://www.reimo.com/de/58270-vario_gleitschienenset_2460_mm_t5_kr_2_stue/

This is the link to the genuine Reimo LWB rails which states in the title 2 Fahrpos (2 travelling position)

http://www.reimo.com/de/58271-vario_gleitschienenset_2860_mm_t5_lr_2_stuec/

That is stupid. Our old T4 variotech parked in 2 positions!! Perhaps speak to CMC and see if they can throw any light on the subject. Personally I'd get down to a machine shop and get someone to mill an extra pair of locking points into the rails!

·
Registered
47 Posts
swb van one position , lwb van 2 positions.....but extra positions can be added apparently according to cmc but I don't know if its safe to travel in these additional positions as the strengthening brackets under the rail may only suitable for the supplied positions....if you get my drift

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
The new Variotech 4000 seating system has many possible locking positions but I don't know how the rails are held in. I was told by CMC some time ago that Reimo were looking at bonding rails in rather than bolting through the floor.

The 333 rails are bolted down in line with the wheelarchs and in the middle of the sliding door on the LWB. I would have hoped that as long as the rear legs of the seat are between those two anchorages then there is no way that the rail could move in a crash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for all of your feedback.

So far we haven't found anyone with a SWB van who can lock it in the front position for passenger use (if anyone is out there please shout!). Some friends who were convinced that they could lock it in this position actually couldn't when they tried. There are a few LWB examples where this works which makes sense with the extra space. Also looking at the position of the front locking holes, even if the seat could lock-in, it isn't going to be very practical as it wouldn't give any leg room. From what I can see there is a bit of miscommunication around the versatility of this seat for passenger use, however it is really useful to be able to slide it forwards and backwards for different load and living space.

Ideally you would want to machine another locking hole into the slider which is around the middle of the door. We are going to have a look at this option if possible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

I don't have a variotech 333 but it is an older model ( in a 07 T5). You will note that my rail has an extra hole in front of its current fixed position. I can also move the Bench right to the front hole but there is barely enough space to sit down, still useful nonetheless as it creates lots of boot space - useful for those occasional trips to the tip.

IMHO I do not see the harm in getting an extra hole milled into the rail. I doubt it will damage the integrity of the rail although I would speak to CMC for their advice.

Regards

·
Registered
47 Posts

So far we haven't found anyone with a SWB van who can lock it in the front position for passenger use (if anyone is out there please shout!). Some friends who were convinced that they could lock it in this position actually couldn't when they tried. There are a few LWB examples where this works which makes sense with the extra space. Also looking at the position of the front locking holes, even if the seat could lock-in, it isn't going to be very practical as it wouldn't give any leg room. From what I can see there is a bit of miscommunication around the versatility of this seat for passenger use, however it is really useful to be able to slide it forwards and backwards for different load and living space.

Ideally you would want to machine another locking hole into the slider which is around the middle of the door. We are going to have a look at this option if possible.
Yes i agree, about the miscommunication about the positions and the seat width! ...and there so expensive

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

I had also decided the 333 was the way to go, as i wanted the same - the kids in the kombi position for travelling, with big boot and all luggage behind them, then moved back for the bed.

I also did not realise that only the LWB version of the 333 did this! Is there anybody out there with the LWB and the 333 who could confirm wha/where the two seating positions are? This may be the only option (I dont have a van yet!)

What does everybody else who has kids and an rnr bed do with their luggage? surely its not all on the floor between the adults and the kids right at the back??

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
The LWB 333 seat locks at ~50 and 135cm (back of handbrake to front of cushion).

I would speak to Concept Multi Car and ask about the Variotech 4000 seat which can park in many different positions.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Hi,

How did you get on with the extra hole ? Also, are you happy with the seat, we have a swb t5 and wanted one of these but im a little put off that it cant lock in a kombi position as i thought that was the whole point, you have a camper and a kombi? Is it easy to remove. Thanks for amy help

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Hi,

How did you get on with the extra hole ? Also, are you happy with the seat, we have a swb t5 and wanted one of these but im a little put off that it cant lock in a kombi position as i thought that was the whole point, you have a camper and a kombi? Is it easy to remove. Thanks for amy help
Have you asked CMC if they'll sell you the Variotech 4000, then all you problems will be solved.

Otherwise we should investigate further the option of drilling the extra hole. When I installed mine I noticed that in the front sitting position the rear leg of the seat sat right on top of the brackets which fix the rail around the chassis cross member below the floor. Therefore in a crash the force from the seat is transferred straight through the rail into the floor and does not create any bending in the rail itself, so make sure, if planning to drill an extra hole, that you position the seat in a spot which meets the same criteria.

As far as I know the Variotech 4000 is bonded on a frame spread out onto the load bay floor so the force is distirbuted instead.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you asked CMC if they'll sell you the Variotech 4000, then all you problems will be solved.

Otherwise we should investigate further the option of drilling the extra hole. When I installed mine I noticed that in the front sitting position the rear leg of the seat sat right on top of the brackets which fix the rail around the chassis cross member below the floor. Therefore in a crash the force from the seat is transferred straight through the rail into the floor and does not create any bending in the rail itself, so make sure, if planning to drill an extra hole, that you position the seat in a spot which meets the same criteria.

As far as I know the Variotech 4000 is bonded on a frame spread out onto the load bay floor so the force is distirbuted instead.
Thanks for getting back to me, We did ring CMC and they wont sell us a 4000 unless we buy a new van from them! Think we might start looking at a rib as not worth the extra money if it cant be used when locked in a forward position. Would be nice if they at least offered the track with a locking point that can be used up front as it can with a LWB.... A little lost why Reimo wont let CMC sell the new and improved seat for existing VW owners!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.