VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Ive asked a couple of times in the facelift thread but not got a reply, can anyone who has used festas picture in that thread to wire the DRL lights to go off when you switch the headlights on please take a pic of how they wired the relay into it? i just really don't understand the picture.

So far i have a wire going into pin 4 of the headlight plug coming off each DRL light going into the van to the back of the headlight switch on the black/yellow wire with a 3 amp fuse on each wire, this makes them come on with the ignition just not go off when the sidelights or headlights are on.

ThanksT:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Hi there , when I wired up my drls the relay we used was wired up using a live from the light switch ( switched by the ignition) for the lights and the relay the Earth on the relay is wired intothe side light positive feed . This is a negative until the side lights are switch on , once switch on it becomes a positive and the drls go out ?? Hope this makes sense ??

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I think that will depend on MOT station. Mine went through test last week and nothing said. My DRL's don't dim or go out. When I put side lights on. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well yes you are correct, to a degree.!!

They are meant to turn off or dim. having said that i have never heard of them scrutinized to that level.

I have played around with all these scenirous, and yes you can use a relay to turn them off on a set of N/O contacts but it's a not really worth the grief. if you want to be fussy, then stick an inline fuse in and you can pull it if need be.

col.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm not too bothered if they go off or not then tbh I just thought it was a mot fail so I might just leave them, also I have just found a small drl light loom on ebay for £7 that gives me this function pre wired, it's made for aftermarket drl so might do that if I end up doing it at all.

Thanks for the help guys T:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Why do you need them to switch off! when dipped beam is on?

col.

Daytime running lights must be bright enough that they can be seen clearly in daylight and as a result matbe too bright to be used at night time when they could cause dazzle. Daytime running lights should therefore go off automatically when headlights or sidelights are switched on. This is only applicable to certain types , bumper mounted oe lights stay in all the time , headlights with integral drls may dazzle and should be turned off with the headlights

For the most part don't think it matters , but might as well have it right , it was very very easy to do so no bother

1 - 9 of 9 Posts