VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone suggest a GOOD alarm system? Don't mind spending a few quid but don't want to go mad I will be fitting a central locking system as well.

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
:) Auto watch seem good, I've had mine for two years and only had to replace the battery (in the remote)
Seems to have a good rep and nobody has stolen my van ;)
I 'think' mine is the 458?
If you camp in your van you can disable the internal sensors (but the blue flashing LED is VERY bright in a dark van LOL: )

Chris

Just looked at the paperwork, It's a 457RLi?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
:) Auto watch seem good, I've had mine for two years and only had to replace the battery (in the remote)
If you camp in your van you can disable the internal sensors (but the blue flashing LED is VERY bright in a dark van LOL: )

Chris

What's the price being paid for these Autowatch systems- me thinking I'm gonna need an alarm/immobiliser at some point- are they Cat 1's too? x

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Expect to pay around £250 and yes it's Cat one if your van is 99 onwards.

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
just to check the autowatch is only a 2 to 1 then ?
thought vw immoblisers where not cat2 on commercials til 2003
i would always fit a cat 1 with the extra immobiliser that the 2 to 1 does not have
most main stream alarms are good but its down to the fitting
on a t4 245-275 fitted for a cat with all the relivante paper work

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Yes, the 458 is 2-1. The 457 is full cat one. The immobiliser on 99 on vans never changed, it was only in 2003 that they submitted it to Thatcham. The Caravelle was a couple of years earlier. Personally I can't see the point of adding another immobiliser when the OE is superior to any aftermarket fitment, especially on diesels.

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts

Chris
if yours is a 458 then you will need a cat 2 immobiliser fitting too if you are trying to use it as a cat 1 as the t4 does not have an insurance approved immobiliser
but if for piece of mind that its spot on T:

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
Yes, the 458 is 2-1. The 457 is full cat one. The immobiliser on 99 on vans never changed, it was only in 2003 that they submitted it to Thatcham. The Caravelle was a couple of years earlier. Personally I can't see the point of adding another immobiliser when the OE is superior to any aftermarket fitment, especially on diesels.
not gonna get in to a fight over this but martin if your issuing cat2-1 certs with you install your leaving you customers uncovered as the t4 immobisier is not or never has been insurance approved and as we all know give an insurance company an inch they will revoke on a claim given any chance T:
and its not superior on the 1.9 or the 2.4 as its a simple job to remove again happy to tell you how in a pm but never on an open forum

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hmm.. Now I am a little concerned as you're fitting me a 427 tomorrow I think and I want to keep my Thatcham rating for my insurance.

Can you guys clarify the status please?

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
can you check the model as thats not on the thatcham list for cat 1 or cat 2 to 1??:*

pm martin and check with him but your van has defo not got an insurance rated security immobiliser

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
not gonna get in to a fight over this but martin if your issuing cat2-1 certs with you install your leaving you customers uncovered as the t4 immobisier is not or never has been insurance approved and as we all know give an insurance company an inch they will revoke on a claim given any chance T:
and its not superior on the 1.9 or the 2.4 as its a simple job to remove again happy to tell you how in a pm but never on an open forum
Not as easy to get past as an aftermarket immobiliser. And who gets any benefit from their insurance company for a cat one on a vehicle of this age??? Like I said, the equipment on a 99 is the same as on a 2003. The transporter was given Thatcham approval in July 2002 TEL1-96 / 0403

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Sorry, just re-read my post, its a 457.
I am actually fitting a 458 for you Shaun. This is all you need irrespective of what others might tell you.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts