VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my central locking has stopped responding to the key fob, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Turning the key in the lock still operates the central locking fine, all the doors lock/unlock and the red light on the drivers door flashes when locked. I've read about the wiring corrosion under the drivers seat, but before I start dismantling things if it is the wiring would I expect the central locking to not even work manually?

It's also a non-genuine replacement key. I destroyed both of the originals over the years due to waterproof cases leaking while surfing, so I now have a solid non-electric key for taking in the water which only opens the doors, and a remote key with buttons (from Timpsons) which starts the car. Before I take the seats out going after this wiring fault, has anyone had issues with these cheaper (still about £100!) Timpsons keys just dying after a couple of years? I've replaced the battery in it but the red light on the fob still doesn't flash which kind of makes me wonder if it's just dead. When you take it apart it feels cheaper than the originals.

Spending £100 on another key is a lot if it's the wiring, and spending my Saturday taking the seats out and fiddling with the wiring will be annoying if it's the key. The way these things usually go I know I'm going to end up doing both and probably a whole lot more!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts