VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been shown one of these clever devices by TFore

I'm tempted to get one (or two) to control the 8 maplin roof lights in the van

When he showed me his setup I was 80% through fitting switches in the door pillar to control the lights as 2 banks of four.

First I thought I could get two remotes, but I'm guessing they wont work independantly???? Anyone know?

Also I'd like to retain the light coming on when door opens setup, for at least one bank of lights - but I'm guessing the remote switch only switches the supply line and the earth/return is constant. meaning the light would stay on constantly, door open or closed. Again, anyone know if this is the case before I order?

thanks. T:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I've found out the earth line is switched which means it'll work with the original door switch.

Still don't know if I can use two remote units, have found a different remote dimmer, maybe buy one of each.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the max current value for the unit? Could you not have them running in parallel out of the dimmer?

I could, but I want the two circuits independently controlled.

8 lights in the roof, 6 in the main area work from the remote and the sliding door switch, 2 in the very back of the van that light up the area behind the bed will work from the rear door switch and maybe a second remote control.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,629 Posts
I have what look like the exact same ones, and having taken one apart (as all electrical engineers do when they get a new "thing"), I'm pretty certain it would melt at 8 amps! (the regulator MAY do that, but only with a heatsink twice the size of the box!)

Also, there is a "selection" pad with 6 tabs that are randomly(ish) linked in the Chinese sweat shop, effectively giving 4096 different code combinations.
To buy 2 with the same code would be just bad luck :*
It's like you and your neighbour having the same remote for the TV :eek:

As for the door contacts....you could do it with clever relay wiring, but unless you know what you're doing I'd think about using separate lights for that function.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have what look like the exact same ones, and having taken one apart (as all electrical engineers do when they get a new "thing"), I'm pretty certain it would melt at 8 amps! (the regulator MAY do that, but only with a heatsink twice the size of the box!)

Also, there is a "selection" pad with 6 tabs that are randomly(ish) linked in the Chinese sweat shop, effectively giving 4096 different code combinations.
To buy 2 with the same code would be just bad luck :*
It's like you and your neighbour having the same remote for the TV :eek:

As for the door contacts....you could do it with clever relay wiring, but unless you know what you're doing I'd think about using separate lights for that function.
Cheers for the info about the coding pad, looks like I'll be buying another module. T:

As an electronic engineer myself, the module was due to come to work with me this morning for some 'investigation' and to lose the naff box and contacts setup. I've also built an adjustable time-off delay circuit that sits in the earth path which I want to add in at the same time.

As for door contacts - it's already done, these controllers switch the earth line (via PWM I imagine) and the 12v remains constant.
All I needed to do was wire the module in as supply and earth and wire the door contact switch as another parallel earth path. Works fine T:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts