VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have finally decided what to do with the caravelle....

ive got 5 kids ( 2 living with the ex) so i need all 8 seats on occasions so i cant go with a permanent install...

the camping plan :

only 5 of us would be going camping so would remove the middle row of seats, and fit some kind of removable unit that houses a sink/cooker and possibly a fridge....

can any one recommend such a unit? .... i saw some on wheeler dealers years ago and they where a quick fit ... just rail screwed to the van wall and it just clicks on ...

any help would be appreciated T:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Check out Cannonsforge

I got my removable pod from, contains smev cooker and sink, fridge, leisure battery etc. its all wired up and can be used in the van or lifted out and used in awning

·
Registered
737 Posts
i'm looking at something similar,
i going for a full width rock and roll bed,
units behind the front seats,
i'm hoping to fit the units on some kind of rails,
that way i can fit a set of rear facing seats on the same rails,
i could end up with 8 or 9 seats

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi
I put one together early this year in my Caravelle ,used it in Belguim and Devon many times during the summer (or what we had of it) and it worked a treat.

Bottom line is you need to work out whats the most important ,to the other half and myself it is a good nights sleep ,lets face it when you are away for the weekend the last thing you will be doing is a three course meal (the local pub can normally sort that) and if the weathers good the BBQ is in order.

with the help of a tape measure I worked out that if you built a chest between the rear wheel arches ,that would hold all the clothes etc and double up as a rear seat base ,and lined up with the rear seat holes in the floor to bolt it down.

Then a ply top that folded out to produce a seat back or the rest of the bed which measures 5foot by 6 .

A small "sink unit" holds a single stove 12v cold box plates tea coffee etc and fits behind the drivers seat and the folded out bed.

The best thing is that it all came out of 2 sheets of 8 x 4 ply which was cut exactly by the guy at B&Q in the price ,glue ,some stainless pins and some panio hinges and I was in busniess .

Some foam from the internet cut to size and a good night sleep is the order of the day..

I just wish I had kept the dimensions so people could print them off and take down to B&Q ,maybe if there is enough interest and the weather warms up I will measure the units work it out again and share out .

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks all for your comments, ideas and links etc has got my mind working overtime now lol

pod s are the future LOL:
looks good whats the dimensions of this unit and price etc and how does it fix to body

im wanting to keep the velle back seats in and when folded down make a double bed using the seat and parcel shelf topping with a memory foam topper ..... the kids are for the tent lol

thinking of making a removable box for storage too that fits under the parcel shelf , which will also give strength to the shelf when lying on it in bed mode....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did think about keeping the rear seats but its always going to be a compramise on the bed comfort plus you wont be able to use the space under the seat a storage very well , I decided that the rear seat comes out in 5 mins (only 4 bolts) so removing all the seats was the best bet (wheelbarrow is great for taking them down the shed) .A mod for next year is to get some seatbelt stalks and fit them in the box using the original mounting points to get seatbelts in the back again.

The whole plan has been downsize to one caravelle so it has to be truly multi purpose ,to start with all the rear seats were removed whilst the kitchen was rebuilt so it was used as a builders van ,plus it went into the local tip as a car (under the barrier) so we were not charged ,then I play in a band so middle seats back in and it becomes a tour bus ,then as we live near the airport it is used to pick / drop friends off so all seats in again ,finally weekend away all seats out removable camper in (about 30 mins) and we are away for the weekend ,the other mod that has realy worked is the swivel frount seats which increase the interor size whilst camping and can be used with the middle seat back down to produce a lounge and finally it has been used as an extra bedroom when we ran out of room at home.

In short I dont know what we would do without it.

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
thanks all for your comments, ideas and links etc has got my mind working overtime now lol

looks good whats the dimensions of this unit and price etc and how does it fix to body

im wanting to keep the velle back seats in and when folded down make a double bed using the seat and parcel shelf topping with a memory foam topper ..... the kids are for the tent lol

thinking of making a removable box for storage too that fits under the parcel shelf , which will also give strength to the shelf when lying on it in bed mode....
they are held in with sash locks somestimes called brighton locks i can make any size you require have a look at greenies rapid transformation*<:)>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts