VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Planning our T5 conversion and am little unsure about our plans for cooking. In our old T2 we had a standard 2-burner plus grill camping stove in it's own purpose-built storage connected with flexible hose to the cylinder underneath. We could use it in situ, but most of the time took it out to use in the awning.

We want to do the same in the T5, but reading the regs about re-registering it as a Motor Caravan, it sounds like the cooking facilities have to be a permanently fixed in the van.

"The cooking facilities must be secured directly to the vehicle floor or side wall
The cooking facilities must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded"

Any ideas on where we would stand? If DVLA rigidly apply the rules, how do people get away with removable kitchen pods?

Second question is regarding the gas supply. How do we get the round the rule that the gas supply pipe has to be permanently secured to the vehicle structure?

In all other respects (sleeping, storage, doors etc.) the van will comply with the regs.

·
Registered
595 Posts
as long as it looks fixed in the pictures,
Someone i know put a two ring burner in the worktop unconnected, never had any intention of using it, stated it had a supply pipe permanently fixed but didn't show any pictures, obviously because there isn't one to photo, came back fine. My friends camp stove lives under the bed, that's all they ever use, well, that and the bbq. Outside the van, it's a mystery to me and my friend why anyone would want to cook in their van .

·
Registered
465 Posts
We use a removable butane cooker in our van, when we applied to change the van to a camper, put the cooker on top of the worktop and took photos and it was reclassified no problem. I think if you have a fixed cooker, built into the wortop, then it would have to comply with all the regs as far as gas bottle storage and outlets are concerned but if it is used as non fixed unit seems to be ok, only our experience so dont take it as fact

1 - 3 of 3 Posts