VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - after having looked at loads of options for a pod that includes a fridge for my T5.1 with caravelle rails, I've come full circle and decided that maybe a CR50 or similar might not be my best option and that I might go for a much smaller cooking-only pod, with a removable coolbox / fridge in the back under the multiflex board. The bonus is that there are a lot of options at much lower cost than the CR50.

What models do you guys use? What size is the best for a combination of weight/space vs capacity for a (small) family for holidays. Is it worth going for a 3-way one? I'd definitely want it to connect to 240& 12, but I think that's pretty simples. Obviously power consumption is a consideration with a leisure battery.

I'll probably haul it out the back when camping and leave it in the drive away awning when we're driving about on holiday.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Have you considered a non powered, high spec coolbox like a Coleman Xtreme or Igloo maxcold? Not the most compact due to the extra insulation over a normal coolbox but they work very well.
I have a Coleman Xtreme, a £1 bag of ice from tesco still has ice left in it after 3 days.
At the other end of the scale the Waeco compressor coolboxes get great reviews on here but I'm not sure I would want to leave it unattended in my awning during the day!!

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
We also have a caravelle with multiflex board. I am I the process of designing and building a slimline slide out pod to go under the multiflex board that has sink and gas burners and a small amount of storage for cutlery, crockery and pans that fixes into the rails. I am also making it removable (with legs) so that it can be removed and used freestanding in our awning T:.
With regards the fridge... We use a genuine vw climabox (mmade by waeco for vw) that attaches into the floor rails aswell and find it brilliant. Best of all it perfectly matches the trim in our velle T:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought a nice new black and white coleman extreme coolbox ltd edition Kansas chiefs imported from the usa including import taxes and delivery for around £32
The company were called gocampingcheap have a look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the thoughts, there's a few in there that I hadn't considered. At the moment I thinking a Tropicool 35L might do it for us. Seems like a decent compromise between a compressor fridge / coolboox (too expensive) and some of the other electric ones. We're heading away this year to do some back of beyond wild camping, so I think we'll need something that is powered - I do like the bag of ice idea though, keeps everything simple!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think im going for a cdf 18 coolfreeze. from amazon £280 over the normal cr 50 fridge. im looking to mount this in a side unit so that effectively it will be top loading. i like the idea of taking it out to the picnic area, or indoors the night before to plug in and load up..
its big enough for what i need..
some milk, wine bottle bacon, sauasges and BEER!
no one else seems to have mounted one in a cupboard.. but i cant see why not if it gets the ventialtion it needs..

aj

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, i did look at this - performance wise it looks better and worth the extra. But can you get enough beer in it!!

I'm off to measure my old cool box and make a decision.....

·
Registered
512 Posts
We used an icey tek super insulated but non powered coolbox in last 2 vans, great for anything up to a week (or longer if you can source more ice!) I have a virtually unused one still in its box in grey if you are interested I:
I could be interested in this, can you forward details via pm

·
Registered
512 Posts
I bought a nice new black and white coleman extreme coolbox ltd edition Kansas chiefs imported from the usa including import taxes and delivery for around £32
The company were called gocampingcheap have a look.
How did you find this!! All the USA based ones I have found will not ship to the uk...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think im going for a cdf 18 coolfreeze. from amazon £280 over the normal cr 50 fridge. im looking to mount this in a side unit so that effectively it will be top loading. i like the idea of taking it out to the picnic area, or indoors the night before to plug in and load up..
its big enough for what i need..
some milk, wine bottle bacon, sauasges and BEER!
no one else seems to have mounted one in a cupboard.. but i cant see why not if it gets the ventialtion it needs..

aj
Don't know if you've noticed, but the CDF25 was only £286 on Amazon today. I think there's a new CDF26 coming out soon, with a digitial display, but I thought £286 was good for a decent sized compressor box.

·
Registered
344 Posts
thanks i purchased teh one from amazon and it arrived today..
i thought they might be bringing a new one out soon, but cant wait as need to build it into my furniture..
i imagine it will be more more money too... this sees a pretty good price over a cr 50.. and more useable space, plus its more efficient being a top loader too..

hopefully i can get it nicely integrated.

cheers

aj

·
Registered
344 Posts
forgot to mention
the cdf 25 has the controls on the top rather than the bottom of the unit which the cdf 18 had.. so it works better for my situation.

·
Registered
485 Posts
CDF25 is great I used one in my old T2, it fitted between the front seats so I could get a drink out while driving and I had it on a long lead so it could go in the awning while camping. They are very efficient, I bought the optional insulating cover too. Thats a good price for what it is, they used to have the same danfoss compressor as the cr50, though I think they may be using other compressors now, particularly on the digital ones.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input, order placed on the CDF25 - I'd forgotten about the fact that as a top loader it will be more efficient and the performance will beat the tropicool that I was almost set on. I managed to find a manual for the CDF26 on the German waeco site, the capacity I think was the same, the big difference was quite a neat looking digital display, but in reality I can't see me adjusting the temp at all once I've got it set, unless I want to change it to a freezer.

Roll on summer!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a spare Icy-Tech 55L cool box, trying to down size and reduce garage contents! They are really good boxes, check out the reviews! Make me an offer. I'm around Exeter this weekend

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
We use a genuine VW Climabox in our van, it's made by waeco and is basically a repackaged tropicool 35.
We are off to France for 3 weeks this summer with our 2 year old and our latest addition to the familly who is just 36 hours old (she will be 6 weeks old when we leave), with this in mind I was thinking of buying a coolfreeze to supplement our climabox. However I have just finished our leisure electrics install and am doing a test to see how long the batteries will run the box for.....
I have rotated the food inside to keep the box working and since I started the test the van has covered about 60 miles all in short trips. We have x2 agm batteries totalling 220 ah.
So far the climatronic box has done 6 days straight ... With no sign of stopping yet. I realise higher ambient temps will cause it to be more thirsty but still.....

This is making me think a tropicool 35 will be ample as a second cooler for in our awning T:

·
Registered
80 Posts
The high end cool boxes are really good. I've got an igloo max cold, keeps ice frozen for 3 days of normal use, more if you're really carefull about opening it etc. After 3 days I generally buy a £1 bag of ice from a supermarket and top it up.

The trick to get the most of them is to make sure everything you pack it with is already cold. Easier said then done because the 24 can beer crates are never in the fridge at the supermarket. Cooling down warm beer takes a lot more energy then keeping cold beer cold. I generally pack the box the day before, fill it with ice to pre cool eveything, then add more ice / packs / drain off the water just before I leave. If you do that then try not to leave it open, you should still have fridge temperatures around 4-5 days later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts