VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished scribbling my design and measuring for the various bits and pieces that will be going into the unit. the only concern is that i want to be able to remove it so i can have extra room when the unit isn't needed or be cooking outside, the problem of safety presents itself.

it needs to be securely fastened down (for obvious reasons), but also easy to remove. i could use a ratchet to hold down, but does anyone have any ideas for this one.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Im planning on mounting the kitchen unit behind the passenger seat so its by the door for when I cook inside.

Clever bit is Im going to use some heavy duty drawer runners (google seach for tool drawer runners etc) to enable me to slide the unit sideways out the van for cooking in nice weather.

It will take some metal framework to mount the drawer runners to the unit and the van, but you can then use the d-ring tie down mounts, and the 2 seater (ex aa type) chassis rail mounts to fix the slide arrangement securely to the floor pan.

I can PM you some pics if needs be?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cunning, i like the rail idea, but to complicated for what i'm after. it has to be out the way for when i go mountain biking with friends, so all the space will be neede.

Still would like to see the photos, always good to see clever stuff being done.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I've made both the cooker unit and washing bowl units removeable by simply scewing a hinge to the units and the other half to the floor. When required to move the units out into the awning I remove the stainless steel filler rods that I have replaced the 'normal' hinge pin. One half of the hinge stays with the unit, the other stays fixed to the floor. A bend in the filler rod ensures ease of handling. Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Now that is smart..question time..whos tap?

love it and gonna nick some of the ideas ..hope that patent aint sorted yet..:D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep seen that one on another post. gave me an idea for my design, other bits will be sliding and its top secret at the moment... just incase its [email protected]
is that one permanent though?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
yep seen that one on another post. gave me an idea for my design, other bits will be sliding and its top secret at the moment... just incase its [email protected]
is that one permanent though?
2 bolts holding it in. The unit is a Faktum kitchen unit from Ikea so its very easy and quick to make up. The false back for the water container was about the most difficult bit, you wont have to trim yours around the Eberspacher either.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Does it not leak when you use the tap?

Where does the water go?

Rob
We use a stainless steel bowl which sits under it and the waste just gets poured away. There is also room for the cooker, the kettle and the coffee making bits and pieces so you can just sit up in bed to put the kettle on without having to put the bed away. I cant move without my morning coffee T:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sliding top question jimjam. where did you get the cupboard door handles from and how much?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
I got the catches from RAINBOW CONVERSIONS they have an ebay shop but only sell them in five packs on there now. Probably best to give them a call they weren't very much money. TBH they were a bit nerve racking to fit though as you have to router holes through your shiny new doors with no tolerance for error. Just check double check and triple check before cutting!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts