VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the family moaning all winter, especially the last few weeks, that the trip to school in our 98 2.5tdi Caravelle, is like spending 10minues in a freezer I have decided to fix the inbuilt diesel heater. That's the one in the engine bay that is a water heater that helps the engine get up to temperature quicker.
Getting it out wasn't a real problem, it's best to do it from underneath. I had made a lovely little copper U to join the water pipes once the heater had been removed. NOTE. 15mm copper is not big enough. I found this out while the still fairly hot antifreeze emptied its self over my chest!!! It need to be about 20mm.

I did a quick clean and stip down of the unit which is a D3WZ and it all looks ok. However today I found out there is a eberspacher service centre 10 minutes down the road where they build canal boats, result. I popped down there a lunch time but the bloke wasn't in work but I did see a lovely looking test rig on his work bench. He's back in tomorrow so ill go back and see what the score is.

Once I know the unit is working does anybody know what else in the system could be a problem eg fuel pumps and electrics?

Also I've been reading about fitting lots of other gubbins so that it will heat the van without the engine running on a timer. Any advice from anybody that has done this.

Thanks Jim.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Mines never worked.Was going to whip it out to have a look. But I found that the main fuse for unit had popped. Just got to fit a new fuse and hopefully it had just had its day. But I suspect that it may be more as its big fuse so possibly duff unit

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was the fuse number as I cant find any reference to it and that's obviously one thing I need to check. Maybe I should have done that before I took the unit out! However being 17 years old I reckon it could do with some TLC. I am going down to get it looked at tomorrow bit I need to get the fuel pump off as well so ill try and get that out tonight. I wish I had a workshop rather than a drive and a headtorch!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
The fuse location was in a fusebox just in front of the battery.It is a 30amp midi style fuse.My van is a year 2000 so may be in a different location.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I'll have a look. I've got the pump out, a bit tricky and unfortunately I had to cut the fuel pipe. It doesn't look in a good state but ill find out tomorrow.

Jim

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you just connect the pump to a 12v supply it won't do anything. You need to connect wire to both terminals and just tap the one wire to the power supply swiftly as the pump works by pulsing. I'm no expert on ebers but fitted a d2 a few months ago and learnt a lot of other people on here

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the kind of info I need. I've had a look at the midi fuses on the front of the battery and thy all look good. Hope fully by the end of the day ill have a clue as to why its not working.

Jim.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Apologies if this was mentioned.

There's a little thermal switch located behind the front bumper and it can stop the little heater from firing up. It's designed to come on at about 4C or so. "Short" the two wires to see if the heater works. Give it a couple of mins to run through a purge cycle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Microbus, Ill be doing that when its back in. as its now nice and warm! Still haven't managed to get to the bottom of it. Time, Kids, half term etc but hopefully have it sorted by the end of the week! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Jim.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Works been busy so only managed to find out this week that he ECU has gone pop. We got it running with another ECU so I'm on the look out for another unit I can get one from or just an ECU. Anybody got on kicking about?? I want to get this up and running as I really want to do the conversion that a few seem to have done to turn it into a van heater as well.

Thanks Jim.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Works been busy so only managed to find out this week that he ECU has gone pop. We got it running with another ECU so I'm on the look out for another unit I can get one from or just an ECU. Anybody got on kicking about?? I want to get this up and running as I really want to do the conversion that a few seem to have done to turn it into a van heater as well.

Thanks Jim.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi Jim are sure its broken and not just locked up from sensor overheating.
apparently you need the £100 hydro controller to unlock them.

Ive not tested my old D3wz that i removed resently as i planned to prove it works with
external wiring loom and sell on.
so will be doing that when the weather lets me and selling it as a working heater including the pump with a vidoe showing it working.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, only just seen your reply! I wasn't aware of the ECU locking out, how can I check this ? The people who looked at if for me have a test rig and seem very knowleagble on the subject. As it was broken they didn't charge me a penny although I did go armed with quality biscuits. I am looking at a replacement unit (new) but may look at upgrading to a D5WZ as I want to convert it to a cabin heater as well. The D5 is a bigger unit. Does anybody know the process of swapping to this unit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Winters on its way and I've been saving up my pennies so I've ordered a new d3wz from Germany which souls arrive on Friday. I'll hopefully have some time on the weekend to get it all plumbed in and working. I still want to convert it to a cabin heater so if anybodies got some wire diagrams and helpful tips on how to that would be grand.
Thanks Jim.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,420 Posts
This is all the info I gathered on the subject.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iacnnw7y84s98gx/AAA4B6JDgNLLOZmmcIVu2TBKa?dl=0
Also have a search on here for posts made by Socrates. He documented his conversion pretty well in a thread somewhere.

I really have to pull my water heater as I don't fancy the prospect of another winter without it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts