VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've just picked up my lovely new van, (I say new, it's not new at all, but it's new to me!)

It's an ex-JCB service van, drives like a dream, just needs a few things sorting-

First things first- I need to remove the signwriting shadow- It's a big van so I don't fancy t-cut by hand.

What do people make of the cheap rotary polishers/buffers, or even drill attachments?

I'm open to any advice on this- cleaning my van is not something I have done often!! H:

·
Registered
180 Posts
ours was sign written on every panel,we used a hot air gun to heat it up a bit and then it peeled off easily, then t cutted it afterwards, a long job, but u cant see the images on it now:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
go & buy some farecla G3 cutting paste from your local vehicle paint suppliers similar to t/cut but much courser & will do the job in half the time

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
This is how mine looked when I first got it 4 years ago... ( phone camera made it look a bit orange)

...And now....(well last April)

Decals off (by me in the end after the dealers I bought it off had their monkey with a screwdriver :eek: start to remove them) using hot air gun and peeling gently.
Good go with t'cut,not enough, so carefully hit it with 2000grit wet n dry and loads of soapy water, then another cut and polish. Still didn't get it all, although the difference was amazing, but a few months later a mate go his mop on it with g3 and g10 and apart from one bit visible on the passenger door if you know where to look on a sunny day it has completely gone.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks great, I'm going to try G3, see if I can get hold of some when I have a day off. I'm going to be applying by hand so it might take a while but hopefully will get the shadowing done. I peeled the signwriting off using hot water out of a boiled kettle, done it that way before and it comes off super quickly with no risk of damaging the bodywork.

After it's been done with G3 will I need to use something less aggressive to get rid of swirls??
Cheers, George.

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
As said, G3 is the stuff, not cheap but does a good job, Halfords do a cheapish mop that will do the job, I think machinemart do one too, or try a valeter as most have pro mops.I would allow about a £100 for a full mop on a large car so van should be similar. I have a pro mop as do a bit of valeting and also 2 twin mops which do the job but due to motor speed take a bit longer. 1200 wet and dry is also a good idea but keep rinsing the paper in a bucket of soapy water then T-cut, If your not confident get a valeter as its easy to wreck a paint job T:
Original question.. Yes the cheaper mops are ok but Grinder type is better . Not so easy to use though and its easy to burn the paint. A spray bottle of water helps to keep the van wet, as you mop then clean off with jetwash then apply polish as G3 and T-cut dont contain good Wax to protect .

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
1200 wet and dry is also a good idea but keep rinsing the paper in a bucket of soapy water then T-cut, If your not confident get a valeter as its easy to wreck a paint job T:
Bullfrog is dead right T: I was very careful and very nervous, if in doubt don't. If I'd known my mate Alex when I first got the van . I'd just have had him mop it from the outset, he does it for a living.

·
Registered
899 Posts
T Still didn't get it all, although the difference was amazing, but a few months later a mate go his mop on it with g3 and g10 and apart from one bit visible on the passenger door if you know where to look on a sunny day it has completely gone.

hello!
I can still see bits of mine in certain lights (a fair bit more than Id like to see at all!), whats a mop, g3 and g10? As Tcut isnt't going to make any more difference

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Use intensive tar remover to remove the sticky stuff & lots of elbow grease. No real need to attack it with wet n dry unless the sticky stuff has dried out. IMHO

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
G3 etc are different grades course to fine . G3 is quite fine so even if you go a bit mad its ok, You can use G3 by hand with a damp cloth and it will still do a good job, do a panel at a time and DONT forget to wax after or the paint will absorb grease and leave blotches.

I tend to mop once with G3 then mix cheap wax and G3 for second mop then Beezwax (canubra) for final mop as this stuff really gets a deep shine and lasts.
Then a quick hand buff with microfibre cloth (should feel tacky'ish) will remove tricky bits on swage lines and around handles etc. Detailing should be done with shaped sponges . You can buy them but a washing up type sponge with scotcbrite removed can be trimmed to suit. You want a fine edge to use around edges of handles so you dont get any plastic restorer on paint or glass

·
Registered
93 Posts
go for g3, but use the luiqid form not the paste as its much more workable, also DO NOT use a drill attachment to buff out as it will be far to fast and could damage your paintwork, and even burn the paint off on the edges if you hold it on the same spot to long, a buffing wheel runs at a much lower speed ,ive had 25 years in the auto body industry ,,,
good luck,
nick.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for all the responses guys, I have someone lending me a cheap mop to do it with, I'll go for the G3 and see how I get on. When I've done the G3, what wax should I apply? and should I use the mop again to do it?

Man, I usually just clean the van with soapy water, making it look good is a new realm to me..

·
Registered
93 Posts
any good qality wax will do, i use auto glymm resin wax but its up to you, keep off the edges with the mop dude and you can add a little water to the mop head if you want to ,it keeps it from dragging especialy if you use the paste version of g3.just dip the mop on to the serface of a bucket of water and then pull the trigger to spin off the access water then off you go, put the g3 on the panel with a damp cloth
nick,

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
we used a hairdryer to get the logos of my dog van, came of very easy.

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
Most of the brandad waxes are ok . I use canubra beez wax but autoglim or turtle wax is probably fine and within budget.

I use a spray bottle (plant spray £1 from wilkos) to keep the panel wet while mopping.

Bucket is fine but dont drop the mop in or it hurtsLOL:

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Don't see it mentioned earlier but when I did mine with G3 and G10 I applied the compound to the panel and then mopped it, with plenty of water lubrication.

Another thing to consider is taping up door rubbers etc as they get covered in dots, in my case yellow.

Andy

·
Registered
211 Posts
The raised effect on the paint on my one is still there even when you can see the undercoat through the paint where I have tried so many times to get rid!!

Basically the vinyl stickers have effected the paint all the way down to the undercoat so the only option for me is a strip back and re-paint.

Van looks ok as long as you don't look too cloesly in sunshine as you can still clearly see all the writing in the paint.

Pain in the ass really as I cant afford a repaint and any more mopping or t-cut will transform my van from red to a white undercoat, or even worse a pink van!!:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts