VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondered if you could remove the rocker cover on a 2.5 130 without removing the inlet manifold?.
I just want to have a look at the condition of the cam.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
Yes you can...pm sent T:

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
Really festa! Im intreagued???
I've had a bit of practice

As you can see the front is still on and the inlet and rocker is off the engine and the cam is out.
Its not a secret as you need to remove the rear engine mount and disconnect the front one. Disconnect the exhaust and the engine is able to pivot back so you can get your hand in to undo the bolts for the inlet manifold. Its easy once you have done it once or twice and beats keep getting the front off, you'll also see my custom exhaust manifold.:D

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
LOL:LOL:LOL: should have read the op 1st post and the answer is no not without removing the inlet manifold...I:

·
Registered
836 Posts
LOL:LOL:LOL: should have read the op 1st post and the answer is no not without removing the inlet manifold...I:
Glad I spotted this as Haynes infers there's no need to remove inlet manifold! I should have guessed the forum would beat the Haynes manual for reliable info....
P.s. Yes I know it's an old thread........:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,

If I had my time again, I would run the engine with the cam cover off and watch the oil feed over the cam. There are a couple of u-tube vid's showing just this.

Mine is a tale of woe, new cam and lifters, rattling again after 1000 miles, new cam shells worn, rattling lifter.

The answer is DPF off, remove rear engine mount, undo front engine mount. jack under front engine mount to lean engine back. Hands and spanners down the front to get the inlet manifold off.

Remember when putting back together, you might need a bit of sealant on the sharp corners (where the cam cover rubber seal meets the cylinder head/cam caps), mine had a weep on the RHS, where the cam cap meets the cylinder head. Not easy to spot with new oil on a hot engine...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi new forum member here and I dove in pretty deeply to replace the camshaft on my newly aquired T5 2.5 TDI

I'm just about to do this job and have stripped down pretty much all I need except for the rear engine mount and hoses.

Festa can you tell me which hoses need to come off so the rotation can take place, also what is on top of that rear engine mount? It feels like a bolt but I can't see it.

Many Thanks in advance

Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
Hi new forum member here and I dove in pretty deeply to replace the camshaft on my newly aquired T5 2.5 TDI

I'm just about to do this job and have stripped down pretty much all I need except for the rear engine mount and hoses.

Festa can you tell me which hoses need to come off so the rotation can take place, also what is on top of that rear engine mount? It feels like a bolt but I can't see it.

Many Thanks in advance

Mike
From memory... m16 single bolt on top of the rear mount. 2 m13 bolts that hold the support bearing for the drivers side drive shaft (made easier by taking off the power of plastic over the drive shaft in the front wheel arch). 4 m16 bolts on the back of the engine to hold the rear mount frame on :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks so much!! So the motor will rotate enough without having to drain the coolant and undo radiator hoses or is it a certainty they need to come off? Looks tight in there!!

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
Thanks so much!! So the motor will rotate enough without having to drain the coolant and undo radiator hoses or is it a certainty they need to come off? Looks tight in there!!
It is tight, so a small hand is required as loss of knuckles is likely. The glow plug loom is also on the front of the inlet manifold which will have to be removed as well, there is Two clips that hold this and they are a Two piece clip that have to be removed to get to the lower of the bolts.
It's the rear metal pipework that needs to be loosened and pushed back slightly without losing fluid.
I see your in Melbourne as I have an old school mate that's down in Hoppers Crossing :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks again Festa, It's those small details that will get me through this project.

I'm more of a Volvo FWD/AWD enthusiast and this is my first van. Everything on VWs is so foreign to me including the 16 sided tools and the mechanical layout but thanks to forums like this one I'm learning fast .

I'll report in with my progress shortly

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
Nice manifold Festa........but what are the 2 copper pipes on the rear left of the engine?
Thats an old picture now and the manifold has been remade..

As I was messing around my first manifold was a three into one and the copper pipework was to extend the water from the head and block to above the exhaust manifold for clearance.

The back of the block now looks like this after I remade it.

But there was a design issue which is also in the darkside kit when you change the manifold....vw's pipework works differently as the pipework is in a different configuration which mine now is but no photo.

·
Registered
T5 axd 2004
4 Posts
I know this is an old post but it is the main one appears when searching about this job.

I tackled this job today and thought I'd share how I removed the inlet manifold. I was standing over the engine annoyed at the prospect of either removing all the front of the van or going down the engine mount route, I decided to find an alternative.

I released the lock carrier at either end and held 'open' with a wooden wedge, then undid the 4 fixings holding the rad fan on and with a bit of a fight the fan was out of the van and I had access to all the required manifold bolts.

This felt considerably easier then any other methods I have read about so thought I'd share.

Have fun

J

PS what a the injectors were to remove with the camshaft still in situe!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know this is an old post but it is the main one appears when searching about this job.

I tackled this job today and thought I'd share how I removed the inlet manifold. I was standing over the engine annoyed at the prospect of either removing all the front of the van or going down the engine mount route, I decided to find an alternative.

I released the lock carrier at either end and held 'open' with a wooden wedge, then undid the 4 fixings holding the rad fan on and with a bit of a fight the fan was out of the van and I had access to all the required manifold bolts.

This felt considerably easier then any other methods I have read about so thought I'd share.
Can it really be this simple? I have injector seal set waiting for installation and I need to look into this. (y)

Anyway, I found another method for removing the rocker cover off if you don't mind breaking the plastic sound absorber on top of the rocker cover. :geek:

Everything so hard with this engine and top it off, all the cam and injector seating problems. How the engineer can have been this bad at their job is beyond me? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts

Have fun

J

Hey! I just want to thank you for this post!! It really works! You saved me a lot of time and effort 😃😃

·
Registered
7 Posts

Have fun

J

I see your van has an AXD engine, would this work for an AXE engine (not sure what the differences are)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts