VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum but haven't been able to get an answer on this.

I'm going to be installing an M1 3/4 bed and a kitchen unit in my van however it has the caravelle rail system installed and wondering how best to remove it so i can start the new conversion. I've emailed the lad at Oxford T5 but just wondering if its possible to remove the top rail strips, carpet over and then install the 3/4 or is this a bad idea?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would expect the rails may well interfere with where your new bed/units may need to bolt through the chassis.

Also, I'm not sure whether you're aware, but the rails fetch decent money 2nd hand - I paid £600 for my SWB ones which seems to be the going rate. Leaving them in and just carpeting over would be like carpeting over £600!

To remove the rails you'll need to drop the chassis lining plastics underneath the van, drop the fuel tank, exhaust & disconnect the handbrake to access each of the bolts & strengthening plates.
There's 5 bolts per middle rail & 7 on the outer 2 rails if I remember rightly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply mate.

I'm aware of how much they cost but i don't think i'll be able (not confident) to take the rails out myself. The ply flooring is around 30mm(ish) thick so i think my best bet is to take it all out and re-ply/carpet the floor.

I had a feeling that it would interfere with installing new bed and units as strengthening plates would probably interfere with existing bolts and whatever else is underneath.

Just wondered if anyone else had done this as the rails were already in the van when i bought it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have the rails in ours, dont think you would want to floor and carpet over them even without the top section - they would take too much floor height away.

Colin at T5 will sort you out, not a massive job to remove them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i've dropped him a voicemail and a few emails. Hopefully get an answer soon because i'm itching to get them out and start something new. Just hope i don't regret getting rid of these rails.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you do decide to drop them out would you be interested in selling your floor?
I've got mine installed but yet to get around to building up a new floor around them.
Possibly mate, i'm off to see Colin at Oxford T5 hopefully next week so i'll see what crack is after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts