VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just blanked of my EGR with an Allard conversion pipe. Pretty simple job (even for me!!).

Trouble is I wanted to blank pipe off at manifold and not top end due to stress on pipe and potential cracking. Issue was/is got one bolt off at manifold end but one nearer the engine is very tight and cant fit my 12mm socket spanner on it. Didn't have a small 12mm spanner to hand to see if that would have worked but even if I had I would have been a bit apprehensive about rounding bold as pretty tight fit with rust build up.

Sprayed plenty of penetrating oil on bolts and one came off pretty easily. Blanked off top end for now and secured pipe to stop vibration but ideally want to blank off at manifold.

Got any tips that might help.

Cheers

Baze

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Ring spanner and use of light tapping of a hammer on the side of the spanner will eventually shift it in one piece.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate,

Will go out and buy decent ring spanner and get on it (when rain stops!!!)

Cheers

Baze

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi, did mine the other week, exactly the same problems :) I am no mechanic and only have cheap tools.

what I did was put a 12mm hex socket (not the ones with lots of little flats, one that is the same shape exactly as a bolt, if that makes sense ) on the end of 2 extension bars, tap it home with a hammer to make sure the socket is seated down nicely then attach your ratchet.

Doing it this way you can lean on the socket as its nicely out of the engine bay above the engine, and keep plenty of pressure on as you turn.

Not sure your gonna get a hammer in there and be able to hit it with any force :*

I also undone the coolant reservoir to let me push it out the way

I was really worried it was going to be a garage job, but got there in the end T:

Good luck T:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice

Got a socket set with one of them 30 degree extention adapters. Do you think that would do the same thing to get correct pressure.

Will remove coolant bottle for sure as does open the area you have to work in.

Many Thanks

Baze

·
Registered
209 Posts
The top bolt was the one that the socket wouldn't seat down on properly, the bottom one I could get the socket on no problem, I did remove the whole plastic cover ontop of the engine aswell tho :*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts