VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006/7 T5 2.5 with DSG box & air-con.

Does anyone know how to remove the large wiring harness clip from on top of the starter as it is obstructing access to the top starter motor bolt?

I have tried pulling it every which way, but it does not seem to want to unclip and I cannot see any bolts holding it down.

This has to be the most inaccessible starter motor ever fitted to a vehicle!

·
Registered
312 Posts
The cable holder is held by a metal bracket which is held onto a stud which is part of the starter motor bolt. It's a 13mm nut which holds it on. You can't really see it. Just need to poke around in there with a 13mm socket on an extension. Once the nut is off, thread all the cables out of the holder and pull the whole thing out. How about a Porsche Cayenne starter motor? It's under the inlet manifold and cooling system pipes in the middle of the 'V'. Give me ten T5 starters to do before I do another Cayenne!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Removing T5 Starter motor (DSG box & A/C)

Job done. What a pain! It took me pretty much the whole day and I occasionally used to set the book times!

Hopefully this info will shave several hours off for anyone trying themselves. Personally I put the vehicle on ramps and used a working platform to access the top, but if you like caving it could be done without.

- Engine cold.

- Remove engine underbody cover. (13 mm socket, six bolts)

- Remove battery cover and two side plates (Top fasteners, then one bolt near lhs of battery)

- Disconnect battery positive terminal (being careful not to short socket on bodywork in the process!)

- Ensure no coolant pressure then remove two ~8 mm pipes from header tanks and plug them.

- Unscrew header tank (torx) lift off tenon and set aside, such that coolant doesn't pour out :0)

- Disconnect turbo hose top end. (I then tied it out of the way, but the location has to be changed during the job)

- Unclip two a/c hoses and one coolant from their securing clip just aft of the a/c dryer.

- Remove A/C dryer holder and carefully place dryer on top of motor, no need to touch hose (two 13 mm headed bolts either side of the battery side cover bolt and one hidden on front side near bottom behind wiring loom) No need to touch clamp bolt.

- 13 mm deep 3/8ths socket with medium (not the normal short or long!) extension to undo nuts securing plastic loom clip to starter bolt and the earth lead to the other starter motor bolt. Those with 12 fingers may be able to undo this clip from its metal bracket - it slides off to the right but has a snib at the middle which needs to be eased out. Sorry cannot recall whether this snib is front or back.

- 13 mm spanner to undo the starter positive lead.

- 18 mm deep socket with medium extension to undo starter motor bolts. Top one can just about be accessed from inside wheel arch. Oh how easily that can be said, compared to actually doing it! You may also need an extension tube or similar to crack the bolts. be careful not to damage the ABS pump which is still in the way. (I found a 3/8" deep socket, short extension, 3/8" to 1/2" adapter and a 1/2" power bar did the trick.)

- Bring the back of the motor forwards a little then lift it out.

Putting everything back together is much quicker because you now know all of the strange contortions need to undo the starter nuts and bolts.

- I took the big plastic harness clip off its bracket and refitted the bracket first then slid the clip on. This worked, but may have been a mistake, so try it without removing it first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts