VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a job now ... removing all the old stripes from the Big Camper.

So come on then, those in the trade, whats the secret ?

Tried, hair dryer - which works ok, makes the stickers very plyable - but not brilliant.

Hot water - not very good

Thinners and or Petrol seems to get the glue off ok, but its very slow going.

Any tips on this most appreciated T:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Started a job now ... removing all the old stripes from the Big Camper.

So come on then, those in the trade, whats the secret ?

Tried, hair dryer - which works ok, makes the stickers very plyable - but not brilliant.

Hot water - not very good

Thinners and or Petrol seems to get the glue off ok, but its very slow going.

Any tips on this most appreciated T:

Shame your to far away from me id come and do it for you. (for small Fee)

JONESY

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
you will need .
a hairdryer.
a stannly scraper. pref with a used blade not new.
some petrol.

1/ warm the decal with the hair dryer to soften the glue, then with the scraper peel a corner of the decal untill you can get a hold of it with you fingers.
slowly peel but at the same time warm the decal thats still on the T4 .use the scraper if you need to but keep the decals warm.

If there is any glue left on the T4
2/ once the decals have been removed ,, with a cloth give the area where the decal was a good wipe with petrol let it soak for a min then do it again the glue should just scrape of with a scraper . dont be scared as the petrol drys quick enough not to damage the paint.

3/ once all the glue is off wash it down then T-Cut.

·
Registered
472 Posts
when i was valeting we used to use a heat gun,to get the actual vinyl off then a tar & glue remover,which you can get from auto paint suppliers,then if needed a good machine polish with compound(you can use it by hand to)a lot better and less work than t cut ,and then a normal polish

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
i made a scraper out of a plastic paint brush handle to save the paint, did the job like a good unT:

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Guys, this is great - and yes I should of used the search I:

Heat gun, hair dryer, doing the job, but just having the Van parked in the Sun is working pretty well.

I am using a windscreen scraper (plastic on) to keep things moving - its not a quick or pretty job, but working.

Will post pics up later - but think it looks tons better already.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is something you can use called a toffee wheel. it's like a rubber wheel thing you put in the end of a drill (looks a bit like a polishing disc). Its designed to rub the graphics off but not damage the paint and smells of toffee wheel you use it hence the name. If you can find one it saves a lot of faffing!

Be careful not to burn the paint off though by pressing too hard.

Can also be called a fudge wheel, caramel wheel or biscuit wheel - serious!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I can vouch for the 'toffee wheel' as have used it on very stubborn factory graphics. It is superb. You will find them at a car paint factors kinda place.

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Guys - having completed Half the van and taken me an entire weekend to remove stickers, then twice as long to shift all the glue, this is a welcome bit of info.

Feel bit like Karate kid att he mo ... Stickers on, Stickers off, Glue on, Glue off, Wax on, Wax off .... all good, but there is bloomin acres of it LOL:

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
warm up the vinyl and remove then use swarfiga red box its awesome
do not use black box it will remove the paint quicker than paint stripper on acidLOL:
cheers steveT:

·
Registered
24 Posts
hair dryer, plastic windscreen scraper, all good
personally i am a huge fan of 3m products, there is an adhesive remover (does what is says on the tin) and also the citrus cleaner is fantastic for removing goo/grease etc
then cut, polish, wax and admire......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts