VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of the screws that hold my current ply floor down have either lost their head completely, or the philips head has rounded off.
I need to pull up the old floor to put a new one down.

I know this is more a general DIY question but wondered if anyone had any tips on getting the stubborn blighters up?

Cheers,

·
Registered
381 Posts
The problem with self tapping screws is that once the head has snapped off they can be a pain to remove. Unlike bolts where you can drill the centres out and use a stud extractor set. Mole grips can help otherwise you may have to remove as many screws as you can and then carefully lever the wood up pulling the screws through. Once you have removed the wood panels you can then deal with the bits of screw left in the body work.
I had a similar issue when removing some chequer plate step protectors, the screws had gone rusty so I replaced them with stainless however when removing the old screws half of them snapped. There was just meat left for me to get a pair of long nosed mole grips on them.

Good luck and I hope this helps

:ILU:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.