VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a few weeks ago, the Top O/S engine mount sheared it's top 2 bolts into the block. Tried my luck with a 90 degree drill which was hopeless, so it was decided that I'd drop the box and motor, and do the job properly...

Sheared bolts looked like this:

They were impossible to get to due to the chassis and metalwork surrounding them.

Removed the front end – Bumper/Grill/Radiator/Power steering Cooler/Headlights to make room to work in the engine bay...

Supported the engine and box with the engine crane, using chain/straps/clips

Driveshafts disconnected. Exhaust undone on the manifold. Gear linkage removed.
Removed worn bottom gearbox ‘pendulum’ mount which is the cause of the sheared bolts! The one bolt required the aid of my 2ft power bar and some serious muscle.
Engine and box slowly dropped.

Culprits now accessible... I went about drilling the studs with a 3mm HSS Cobalt bit. A good centre punch hole to start the drill off and keep it centre...

Once drilled all the way through the stud, I gently hammered a Hex bit which was slight smaller than the drill hole. This allowed me to then unscrew the stud without damaging the thread.

Celebratory High5 as the studs came out!

Refitted the mounts. Positioned the motor and box back in place...
And she’s alive!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:DA:A:A::D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, they are the 2 M10 bolts in question.

Had correct bolts fitted, but the fault was caused by a worn bottom "pendulum" gearbox mount which allowed the engine to rotate slightly. This put a lot of strain on the top mount bolts, causing them to snap.

£35 delivered for the replacement mount from T4sRUs... VW was closer to £100...

May be worth replacing it if there's any sign of wear when you do your TDi conversion T:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a bad price, I assume the bush is not available separately to fit the fork.
Front bush is available - TPS under £20
The rear bush is part of the mount, so comes as a unit... The rear one that was at fault in my case but did the front too T:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I admit i didn't expect it to be the gearbox mount!

I'm researching this for the easter holiday when i can REALLY sort my vans engine and box after it dropped today, 1 bolt missing and 1 certainly sheared - however i thought the 1.9tdi conversion used 3 mounting holes?

Mine only used two due to a previously poor conversion which im sure contributed to todays problem.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I admit i didn't expect it to be the gearbox mount!

I'm researching this for the easter holiday when i can REALLY sort my vans engine and box after it dropped today, 1 bolt missing and 1 certainly sheared - however i thought the 1.9tdi conversion used 3 mounting holes?

Mine only used two due to a previously poor conversion which im sure contributed to todays problem.
Yep - uses 3.

Top 2 sheared, but the bottom one managed to hold on luckily T:

Almost sure it would be the gearbox mount...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Andrew, do you have a P/N for the front bush? once the weather starts to look a bit better, I think I may do some work on my van - I did the conversion this time last year and don't fancy crawling around in the snow again. I need to sort out some leaks (boost, power steering and coolant) and whilst I have the front end off, I may as well to the lower engine mount too.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andrew, do you have a P/N for the front bush? once the weather starts to look a bit better, I think I may do some work on my van - I did the conversion this time last year and don't fancy crawling around in the snow again. I need to sort out some leaks (boost, power steering and coolant) and whilst I have the front end off, I may as well to the lower engine mount too.
I don't have a part number, but i couldn't get the bugger out so still have the brand new one sat in the shed! 'Pendulum' mount was quite pricey from TPS/VW, so I ended up ordering from T4sRus...

I've now got a trade acct with TPS so would probably opt for genuine part for piece of mind... After all - the original lasted 170k, at least 3 'engine-outs' and a TDi conversion T:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Doesnt the gearbox mount simply control forward and backward swing? If so, would this cause the bolts to shear?

Needless to say im replacing all my mounts anyway!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts