VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all.

I've got an ex AA T4, and I am starting the process of slowly converting to a camper. At the moment, it is like driving a barge, it rolls around so much! Whilst I am going to be lowering it somewhat, the first thing I want to do, is get rid of the airbags in the rear suspension. I'm never going to tow anything, nor carry a BIG load, so I don't see the point in keeping it.

Is there anything to be aware of when removing them at all? I've had a quick search, and can't find any guides or anything on them....

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
77 Posts
did it at the weekend. it is the proverbial piece of pee.

jack up back end. same process as swapping springs really.

take off wheel for better access. unbolt u clamp holding bottom of bag.

unbolt shock bottom.

air bag assembly should come loose (unplug hose from top)

pull it out, then un zip tie the hose, and feed back to tow hitch. unbolt valve end.

fit your lowering springs back in, bolt all back up.

easy.

then get your airbags and uprated springs on here for someone with a fatty boombatty rear end.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blimey, it's that easy?

I've not actually bought the lowering springs yet, mainly because I can't decide how low to go! I'm going to stick with the standard (16"?) wheels for now, and I want to retain some ability to drive down normal roads in North Wales (read that as being lumpy and bumpy!). I was thinking that 60mm is a good amount to go for...

I also didn't realise the existing springs were uprated, and there is a secondhand market for them! I wonder if there is anything else I am taking out that should be sold on (rear seats, lightbar, control box electronics, hand wash unit, tow bar etc)!

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
769 Posts
Big market for all that stuff. T:

If you were closer to me I would be snapping your hand off for the seats. :(

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good to know :) It will offset the cost of doing the interior, lowering the beast, and giving the engine a good seeing to!

Cheers
Andy

PS. I may be heading down South in the near future for a job interview. I'll let you know if I do ;)

·
Registered
769 Posts
That's good to know :) It will offset the cost of doing the interior, lowering the beast, and giving the engine a good seeing to!

Cheers
Andy

PS. I may be heading down South in the near future for a job interview. I'll let you know if I do ;)
PM me if you are and want rid of seats, keep the mushroom bolts too as very handy.

Cheers A:

·
Registered
77 Posts
yes mate. got 150 for my light bar 250 for my toolboxes, and swapped my air bags and old springs for a set of -60's

get bargaining!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bigandy,
If you are doing the airbags on the weekend get under the van tonight and give the 'U' bolts a good soakng with penetrating oil. They've been on there a good while remember.

If you've got room to keep the airbags, I would.......just put mine back on!:ILU:

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
If your planning to lower and convert, you may wish to keep the airbags in. I hav ejust lowered 60mm and dont really carry much weight, and noticed it dropped by a further inch when I put a bit of luggage in the back. I have since put about 1.5bar in my airbags and its back up a bit with a bit more resistance to the springs.
I am sure by lowering the van its folded the airbags a bit and eventually they will wear and fail, but for now I am glad I kept them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts