VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience of renting out their beloved campervan? I was going to have to sell my lovely T4 Syncro because I don't use it as much as I should. However someone told me there are a couple fo companies that allow you to easily rent your van out, a bit like renting a spare room on AirBnB. I have looked into it and found a couple of websites Gobooney and Camperbug. I was wondering if anyone has used either of them and what the experience of renting your van out is like. If I go down that route it will mean I can keep my van and the income will help with maintenence costs etc.. From a limited amount of research I can see that vans of a similar age and condition to mine are making a rental of between £500 to £800 per week. I realise it is a very seasonal business but if I could make some cash from my van it would mean I could afford to keep her for a bit longer. Just to make it clear my van is more of a daily driver than a show & shine so I'm not as precious about letting someone else behind the wheel as some of you with more pristine vans might be. So having got past the horror of letting someone else drive away with my van now all I need to do is decide who to use to get the most business. I still need to find out about the cost of insurance but at least one of the companies offer a policy that allows people to rent your van. It will just come down to whether once the insurance is factored in it is worthwhile. Interested in your thoughts especially if anyone has rented their van out.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,174 Posts
Common question. Bad idea IMO

Great if never get a problem, but if it breaks down in use or is not on the road when you have committed it to a renter, what will you do? Rent them another campervan? Wipes out all profit and then some. Need a fleet of vehicles (or even just a spare you don't rent otherwise) or tie up with a group which can get together to cover each other I would say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What if you get 20 odd year olds out for a jolly and wreck the inside

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I apprecite it is a risk, same as the risk when renting a room on AirbnB. There are always the odd guest/renter that might do damage but that is what a security deposit and insurance is for. I was really hoping to hear from someone that has actually done this and hear what their experience was, good or bad.

I had my van in for a new alternator the other day and the guy in the VW garage I use said a couple of his customers rent out their bay fronts. I also know someone that rents his splitscreen but only for weddings. So there are some people willing to rent their vans.Hope someone is reading this that can give me some real life experience rather than opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts