VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have found an alternative way of stopping the door pin from dropping without removal of the lock mechanism or repair of the tiny spring. You just need to add a bit of friction to the door pin to stop it slipping back down after it is unlocked. I did this by putting a bit of horizontal force on the door pin with a cable tie, which i secured around some holes in the metal in the inner door, behind the door panel. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great thread - Problem fixed. Used a spring from an old butterfly anchor bolt that was in the "Small ComeInHandy" jar. Very little modification requirede

One thing I (eventually - 4th attempt!!) did was to loop bit of thread through the hole where the inside door handle rod connects to the mechanism. Followed the thread with my fingers when refitting the rod. Great help when working blind.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have found an alternative way of stopping the door pin from dropping without removal of the lock mechanism or repair of the tiny spring. You just need to add a bit of friction to the door pin to stop it slipping back down after it is unlocked. I did this by putting a bit of horizontal force on the door pin with a cable tie, which i secured around some holes in the metal in the inner door, behind the door panel. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.
Sounds simple, any photos yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the detailed description, had this problem yesterday and now all fixed.
Cut one and a half turns of a compression spring and bent the ends up.A:

·
Registered
12 Posts
not an easy fix but worth it if it lasts

Great information here! The '97 Transporter I bought recently had this problem, and the PO had someone go in and unplug the harness from the motor underneath (has central lock.) This is because his wife driving the van arrived home before him, the door was shut and the lock pin fell down and locked her out of the van with the keys inside. She had to wait for him to arrive home, for her key to the house was also in the van.

I found the repair to be time consuming and I hope it will last. The way that spring is situated is not good for longevity. It looks like any spring is going to get worn down by being loosely held in holes like that and at such a funny angle. I used a clothespin spring which I cut roughly in half.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have on many occasions got around the lock pin dropping by simply removing the plastic lock button and slipping a piece of heat shrink tubing over it and shrinking it on the refit the button and the friction in the door card insert holds it a treat T:T:T:T:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just done mine - a horrible job in a February hailstorm ! about 3 1/2 hours in total.

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but if you're having problems physically getting the mechanism out to do the repair, pull off the rubber window channel/ guide from the bottom, not right off - it will reveal a nice little cut-out that VW have kindly put in for removal of the mechanism.

Chris.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great little fix, well done all involved.

I don't have central locking but the door lock button kept coming down on its won, locking me out!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Thanks very much for this very helpful thread.

I was experiencing central locking woes and just couldn't work it out (with both doors open, the entire system would run through unlock-re-lock continuously). Having read your thread ages ago, and making a subliminal note about someone wrapping tape around the door knob I stripped the latch out.

...and there it was....... gone LOL:

Now sorted T:

God, I love this site A: :ILU:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can anyone help with this one?

When I bought the van I never actually tried the key in the door locks - just used the key fob.

Now key fob has suddenly stopped working (lights flashing on fob but no effect on central locking). Central locking works as I have tried it from inside van by pulling up door locks.

Problem is now the only way I can get into the van is throught the tailgate! I have discovered the keys cannot open the doors via the locks on both front doors & side door. Contacte the previous owner & he said the owner before him "bent the door pins to increase the security of the van" ??! Never heard anything so dumb.

Basically the key goes into the locks but only turns 45 degrees to the left & right in the front doors & doesn't budge at all in the side door.

Not really knowing the mechanics of the door lock can anyone shed light on exactly what he meant by 'bending the pins'? Is it the same pins that are talked about here? He said it should be a simple job but I can't even figure out firstly how to get into the locks or take them off & secondly where the bloody pins he is talking about are.

It's going to be very inconvenient this week as the van will be full of tools & the only way to lock it is to push the door locks down & climb out the tailgate.

I have ordered new batteries for the fob but I need to get these doors corrected.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a quick test recommended by well expert Locksmiths to see if the spring is broken in the lock actuator. If you pull up or push down on the lock post and it doesn't "click" into the locked or click into the unlocked position, then the spring is broken. If your actuator makes the rapid up and down movement, then more than likely the actuator is OK and you just need to replace the spring. Please feel free to contact me if you are going to attempt to this repair. I will be glad to work with you (messaging or by phone). Best of luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to put this on, I fixed mine today, not much luck with with using the wire from a lever arch file, I didn't manage to wind it close enough and it stuck between the plates. I managed to modify a spring that came from the new outside handle though. Job done

·
Registered
143 Posts
Found this thread on google, desperate for a repair. Made my spring from a safety pin. Worked a bloody treat!!!!
From start to finish to me 15 mins.
Excellent fix and thread well done all.

my door feels brand new.A:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for this I stripped the lock yesterday but had to work on the dash to save someone wondering off with my car stereo. But I couldn't see what was missing but this tutorial will make light work of fixing it and a lot easier than trying to source another lock and cheaper.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Used your tutorial today to do a similar repair. It was driving me crazy! Was either locked in or locked out but now back to normal.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts