VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
This post is worth is weight in gold. I had the same problem and eventually I found this post. I live in the middle of nowhere in norway but thankfully my inlaws have a T4 and they just so happened to have a spare locking mechanism that failed years ago but the spring was still intact so I pinched one from there I:

Untitled by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have just locked my van, by closing the passenger door....
so I googled it, and found this thread..
really, really not looking forward to this job:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have on many occasions got around the lock pin dropping by simply removing the plastic lock button and slipping a piece of heat shrink tubing over it and shrinking it on the refit the button and the friction in the door card insert holds it a treat T:T:T:T:

I think this sounds like my type of 'fix' :D:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have found an alternative way of stopping the door pin from dropping without removal of the lock mechanism or repair of the tiny spring. You just need to add a bit of friction to the door pin to stop it slipping back down after it is unlocked. I did this by putting a bit of horizontal force on the door pin with a cable tie, which i secured around some holes in the metal in the inner door, behind the door panel. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.
That is such an awesome idea!! A:
I had this problem on my T4's door (I remember my Dad had this on the same model some years ago) and was getting all worked up about the whole re&re of the mechanism.

I also used a cable tie, wrapped around a hole in the panel as suggested, in such a way that it pulls the pin to the side, therefore setting up friction between the lock-cap and the wall of the panel there. Getting the panel back on was a bit tricky because the pin was pulled over but I ended up wrapping a bit of wire around the pin to pull it through the sleeve in the panel. I can still go in and replace the spring...in the Spring. I:

Thanks again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I replaced the broken spring today, followed the instructions, and all mended
Chuffed to bits
Thanks for the guide
Chris.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is such an awesome idea!! A:
I had this problem on my T4's door (I remember my Dad had this on the same model some years ago) and was getting all worked up about the whole re&re of the mechanism.

I also used a cable tie, wrapped around a hole in the panel as suggested, in such a way that it pulls the pin to the side, therefore setting up friction between the lock-cap and the wall of the panel there. Getting the panel back on was a bit tricky because the pin was pulled over but I ended up wrapping a bit of wire around the pin to pull it through the sleeve in the panel. I can still go in and replace the spring...in the Spring. I:

Thanks again.
I did fix this over the winter. Here is my spring. It has been working great for months already!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts