VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

In my search for a good secondhand DOKA I have just come across the following:

http://www.blocket.se/vastmanland/VW_transporter_TDI_Syncro_DH_32431778.htm?ca=23_15&w=3

Anyone here have experience of repairing light front damage? According to the seller, the truck rolled into a tree, there is according to him no chassis damage and no engine/transmission damage.

It seems like a bargain, the truck is a 2003 registered 12 dec 2002. And it's a syncro!

//NiSk

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Doesnt look that light to me.. Rolled into a tree at 35mph?! :eek:

Raditor looks dead and front valence will be too.. Check the outriggers arent damaged and the wings are straight. I would ask for some more detailed pictures without the snow..

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'd say that did roll in Roll into tree , but it was the tree that was doing 50mph at the time lol. There's a lot of damage , is be worried about chassis alignment also.

·
Registered
253 Posts
dont look too bad in pics...if you know someone with a t4 lwb or a doka run a tape over their chassis to some refference points, then check this one see if they are the same. if within a mm or 3 then its prob ok but you wouldnt know for sure unless you had it aligned by a bodyshop jig. dont know wot it equates to in gbp £'s but look like a good vehicle poss worth a go:cool:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Its a longnose, thats going to cost more to put back together than a short nose, i found out with my syncro, when some idiot stopped at a junction for a dog!, took out the complete front of my van and cost over £1500 in bits, unless you have a complete source of long nose bits, i suggest you stay away from it, apart from that it looks like a good project...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not just a new radiator either. New intercooler as well. Probably new engine and gearbox mounts and perhaps even a timing case cover at the least. New bonnet, radiator support panel, lights, grille, inner and outer bumpers, engine undertray....and a paint job.

Plus all the other stuff that goes a bit mad when a VW has been parked in the open for an extended period.

If nothing is out of skew then it should be a simple remove and replace. But it's hard to imagine how a kiss from a tree wouldn't have unforseen repercussions. It might be a good deal.....might be a nightmare. Might be somewhere in between.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i'm no expert i'm sure someone knows better than me, but long nose vans (normally after 1995) have a longer front end, in other words a longer bonnet and front wings. also different dash and bumpers. look at some picks on here the difference is hard to spot but if there are little grills in one front wing its a long nose. have you looked at the van yet or asked abou mechanical damage?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Short nose and long nose T4s each have a unique set of exterior panels, internal support panels and plastic forward of the A pillar.

Giveaway features on the long nose are the rounded look to the indicators in side view and the sloping squint to the headlights compared to the wide eyed rectangles of the short nose.

Both versions still have the grille for the engine air intake on the drivers side

The long nose came about because of the addition of the VR6 gas engine to the range but it also allowed the fitment of a front mounted intercooler for the 2.5TDi which then provided for a higher powered TDI over the stock ACV engine.

Long nose is not so common so parts are often harder to find and more expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts