VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

my coolant fluid looks orangey and so i thought id change it (dont know when it was last done)
does anyone know howw i go about draining and flushing??

cheers,
craig.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
ahhhh LOL:
ok well i think id better replace it though anyways... do you know how to drain etc??
Get a tray underneath your engine ready to catch it all, take off your coolant filler cap from the expansion tank.

With some pliers take off the hose clip where the lowest coolant hose joins onto your thermostat housing on the water pump.
Pull the pipe and let drain until its all out.

Replace hose and clip, , make sure your cab heater is on full so coolant can fully circualte around the system.
Fill 50/50 with antifreeze/water. Antifreeze in first.
I use Comma G30

Once the level looks full in your expansion tank, run engine to flush out any air trapped inside, I see yours is a 1.9.
There should be a plastic bleed screw on one of the coolant pipes where it goes through the bulkhead just behind the left side of the expansion tank as you look at it.
As the engine comes up to temp, the thermostat will open and let the coolant fully circulate, open the plastic bleed screw and make sure theres no air trapped in there. Once your happy theres no air left it, do it back up.

Check level again, jobs a goodn T:

Waterpump/thermostat hose is number 29 in this pic-

The bleed screw is roughly above number 25

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you so much for the info...very detailed!!
how much is half though so i can get the mixture correct?

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
As well as draining I think it's a good idea to flush the system with fresh water. If you don't know what coolant was in there you probably need to go for a drive to circulate the fresh water around to make sure there are no pockets of old coolant around the thermostat. I'm not sure if it's important, but I let the engine cool down somewhat before draining.
I now use only the genuine VW G12+ coolant because I think quality coolant is important.
I would mix the ratio correctly in a container & then pour into your van. I was caught on our Polo putting the water in first & then trying to pour the coolant in last, it would not all fit even though I supposedly had the correct capacity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, a sideways question incoming..

The story... The rad froze in th cold snap when it was -16. I was driving up a hill doing 60ish when the engine started to boil and lost all its water. I limped the last 100 yds up the hill using momentum and killed it as soon as gravity did its thing down to the garage at the bottom of the hill. I filled with water from 2 themos flasks and when I got to work topped it up with anti freeze and put tape over the grill to stop it freezing again. Water temp stayed constant and level was fine. I took the tape off the grill and all seemed well bar the temp not rising. It woud not warm up to normal. Barely a quater up the guage when its working hard. I drained and flushed the coolant the other day. mixed it back up 25/75 as per instructions (to protect to -20) thinking that the random amount of coolant in before was the reason for not warming up. Same prob. Do you reckon it could be the thermostat dicking around? its a 1.9td. Are they an easy item to replace? I can do a fair bit of spanner spinning but dont want to do major surgery!

Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As well as draining I think it's a good idea to flush the system with fresh water. If you don't know what coolant was in there you probably need to go for a drive to circulate the fresh water around to make sure there are no pockets of old coolant around the thermostat. I'm not sure if it's important, but I let the engine cool down somewhat before draining.
I now use only the genuine VW G12+ coolant because I think quality coolant is important.
I would mix the ratio correctly in a container & then pour into your van. I was caught on our Polo putting the water in first & then trying to pour the coolant in last, it would not all fit even though I supposedly had the correct capacity.
cheers mate, i think ill take your advice, a good flush cant hurt nothing!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Everyone. I just had my van in to get a few coolent leaks sorted out. I asked the garage to flush the hole coolant system, as the water in the expansion tank was very brown and rusty looking. After I picked the van up the garage said they had drained the system and refilled it, but not flushed it out ! They said that it is not good to use a coolant flush on older engine's as it could remove all the gung that might be blocking potential holes ?? Anyway after I got home the new water/coolent was as brown as before !!

Not to sure what to say about that, the garage say's the brown water does no harm. :*

John.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Not to sure what to say about that, the garage say's the brown water does no harm. :*
The first thing is don't go back to that garage. The coolant must never be brown. Drain all the coolant, fill with fresh water, drive around & then drain again. Clean the inside of the reservoir so you can tell when it is clear & none of the old coolant remains. When you are happy that this is the case, fill with correct ratio of coolant.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi peeps,
i took off the bottom hose today readu to drain the system, i got the heater on full too. i got a bucket ready to cath the water and only a bit came out.. as in a quarter of a normal sized bucket... the water was really bad.. quite thick and very brown with lots of sediment..
i was expecting more to come out... any ideas??

craig.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts