VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. My 2004 T5 1.9d 85hp 160,000 miles started making a loud noise from the engine. Took it to the garage and they found a lot of metal in the gearbox oil and state it will need a new box. I had to replace a driveshaft two months ago, I suspect this caused some damage to the box which has now deveolped.
A decent reconditioned box costs upwards from £700 plus fitting.
A reconditioned engine from £1000. Do I just replace the box or do I just go a engine change to prevent any further problems, maybe fit a bigger or 105 hp engine?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi. My 2004 T5 1.9d 85hp 160,000 miles started making a loud noise from the engine. Took it to the garage and they found a lot of metal in the gearbox oil and state it will need a new box. I had to replace a driveshaft two months ago, I suspect this caused some damage to the box which has now deveolped.
A decent reconditioned box costs upwards from £700 plus fitting.
A reconditioned engine from £1000. Do I just replace the box or do I just go a engine change to prevent any further problems, maybe fit a bigger or 105 hp engine?
Your'e in the wrong forum pal. This is the T4 forum. But it sounds like you have a problem with your gearbox only. I doubt whether you'd be unlucky enough to lose both at the same time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts