VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i'm new to the site so i hope im doing this right. I'm trying to fit a new ignition barrel in my t4 caravelle. K reg. Can anyone tell me how to get the old one out please? many thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I couldn't help noticing on the barrel link that the ignition barrel housing needs to be replaced after it's been drilled, so it seems a bit pointless drilling out and separating the barrel from the housing if both are to be replaced. This would only be worth doing if you are re-using the barrel. If you need to replace the barrel it seems the easiest thing to do is to replace the lot without bothering with the drill.:*

Furthermore if you do buy an aftermarket barrel you'll still have to go to the main dealer for the housing.

I decided to order a new Barrel for my 2000 T4 from the main dealer as I'm a bit about having a proper VW key and the aftermarket key I have is made if poor quality soft metal and is pretty much worn out. The van had an aftermarket key when I purchased it

It was only when I wasted £20 on a key from VW that I found out the barrel was aftermarket as well so the key did not match the VW pattern.

The new lock barrel from VW is £97 and they'll also charge me on top of this for the 2 keys to be coded but at least I'll get a reference code for the new keys so I can order replacements directly from VW.

It will also be interesting to see of the new barrel will include the housing in that price, it would seem pointless to me to sell a replacement barrel without the housing when every bit of info I have uncovered indicates that both would have to be replaced.

It's worth mentioning that I have checked the barrel assembly since and there's no hole drilled in the housing already. This indicates that the housing was replaced when my aftermarket barrel was fitted which backs up what I have written above.

I'll update this post to let you all know what I have discovered.

Once I know all the costs I'll also post them and if I do end up replacing it all myself I'll post what I have learned.T:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
This post is an excellent how to. T:
Yes it is, I got a switch ready to fit, v.glad to pick up the top tip on the cranked screwdriver, off to Halfrauds tomorrow for them should be useful for other fiddly jobs too.T:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Yes it is, I got a switch ready to fit, v.glad to pick up the top tip on the cranked screwdriver, off to Halfrauds tomorrow for them should be useful for other fiddly jobs too.T:
If youve got a cross head screwdriver piece and small pair molegrips you can shift it with that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts