VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I have a new ( to me ) 97 2.5L Petrol T4 down here in Australia. I have a gear engagment issues where sometimes the clutch will not engage. Have bleed several times and toped up brake fluid.
I have decided to change the Master and Slave cylinder....However i cant seem to find a definitive guide to this process. I'm handy on the tools and service my van, but would love some pointers.

Questions are...how to drain fluid?
will it affect the brakes and will i need to bleed brakes after?
am i dreaming?

The slave cylinder is a bolt on although it looks tight down there. any trick to get to it apart from removing the passenger wheel?

Any links would be great.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
1 it is fiddly but only nuts and bolts maybe remove seat to get more room at the pedal area
2 you will not break into the brake portion of the resevoir as they are internally seperated so no need to bleed brakes
3 when bleeding try to do it with a pressure bleeder as it can be a pain to get all the air out sometimes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alrighty then. Thanks for the pointers.

What about draining the clutch before i start? Do you just loosen the bleed nipple and pump the clutch? (with a draining tube attached)
My understanding is that this would need to be done before i replace the parts. Then when the master and slave are back on, I would top up resevoir with brake fluid and bleed the system of air either by pumping the clutch or with the pressure system.

and another thing.... will i need any other components to go with the master and slave cylinders? grommets, seals, clips? or are the cylinders a stand alone replacement part.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts