VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would like to upgrade the speakers in the dashboard of my Multivan. I already bought some 10cm coaxial speakers (Pioneer TS-G1020F) to put in, but I'm not sure about how to replace the stock ones.

I managed to get the speakers themselves out - they are tweeters, which were clipped into a plastic base. I took some pictures of my own but I found this much clearer one online:

(picture taken from https://translate.googleusercontent...700205&usg=ALkJrhhVzmHN3BOMoWuRiNqDlLvIzRoTEw)

The circular hole in the plastic is the right size (10cm diameter), but there are no screw holes in the plastic that I can screw the new speakers into.

What is the next step? Should I try and remove the plastic (if so, does it need to be done destructively or is there a trick to it)? Otherwise, should I just try and fit the speakers as best as possible?

All suggestions welcome!

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,135 Posts
You'll need to do some re-wiring too.
The tweeters are wired in parallel to the door speakers, with a "crossover" built into them.
So, just fitting them, will put both sets of speakers wired to the same channel and overload the head unit.

I think I just removed a couple of the tabs from the speakers, and used silicone and a couple of self tappers to mount them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll need to do some re-wiring too.
The tweeters are wired in parallel to the door speakers, with a "crossover" built into them.
So, just fitting them, will put both sets of speakers wired to the same channel and overload the head unit.
Thanks for the heads up about that! My head unit isn't anything special, it has 4x50W outputs and I have 6 speakers including the ones in the back, so I guess that unless start thinking about amps etc. then some speakers are gonna have to share. Were you suggesting that I put both speakers on each side in series?

I think I just removed a couple of the tabs from the speakers, and used silicone and a couple of self tappers to mount them.
OK, makes sense. Thanks from a fellow Yorkshireman ;)

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,135 Posts
Yes, unless you want to start with amps, wiring in series would be the "safe" option.

It's also pretty easy to do simply from the connections you have to the old tweeters.
You'll notice each connector has 2 wires....the head unit feeds go to the tweeters and then down to the door ones.
Just a "thunking" jobby to work out the + and - feeds to each of the speakers.

I installed some Vibe Component speakers bass units in the doors, ignoring the tweeters and crossovers that came with them.
Good bass from "down low", and good mid/high end fill-in from the dash. (Similar 2 way units.)

Glad to see you went for 2 way and not the 3 way (where the extra "bits" actually block out most of the cone of the 10cm units!)

Guess Barcelona is a warmer choice from Yorkshire than it was to move to Norway! LOL:

·
Registered
46 Posts
You should never put different kinds of speakers (tweeter, midtone and woofers) in series !

You'll get all sorts of mismatches in impendance and frequency responces.

Placing them in parallel guaranties all speakers recieve all frequencies. Just watch the total impedance stays within amp spec.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,135 Posts
OPs problem is, 2 x 4 Ohm speakers will give him 2 Ohms in parallel...something a std head unit will NOT like!
His only option is serial connection unless he uses an amplifier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so I wired them in series, by rearranging the 4 wires that were previously connected to the tweeters T:.
I'm considering making further improvements but the cab is already sounding much better than before, thanks :D!
I installed some Vibe Component speakers bass units in the doors, ignoring the tweeters and crossovers that came with them.
Good bass from "down low", and good mid/high end fill-in from the dash. (Similar 2 way units.)
Did you do that by wiring them in series? I'm considering whether it is worth getting new door speakers at this stage, or whether the next upgrade worth doing would be to get an amp + crossover. I'm not trying to achieve a mega sound system here - I would rather keep things stealthy - but I am currently limited by having 4 outputs from the head unit and 6 speakers.
You should never put different kinds of speakers (tweeter, midtone and woofers) in series !
Thanks for your message, and yes, I appreciate that this isn't at all ideal. I guess that I could get another set of 2-way speakers for in the back and run them in serial with the dash units, then put the ones in the doors on their own?
Guess Barcelona is a warmer choice from Yorkshire than it was to move to Norway! LOL:
I think it's safe to say that you guess right! Can't get a decent brew for love nor money though, and don't get me started about the beer... ;)

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,135 Posts
VERY few head units can handle 2 Ohms....which is why I said the SAFE way to wire was in series!
As Tom has said, it already sounds BETTER.

Poked your nose in again where it wasn't needed. Rasp:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts