VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have been a member of the forum for a while but first time I have really posted so apologises in advance if I don't get the etiquette 100% correct.

I have a 1997 1.9td panel van with around 170k on the clock . At the beginning of the summer the bolt holding the timing belt pulley sheared whilst I was doing 70mph along a dual carriageway with fairly obvious results. As the van is a bit rough around the edges and has a few problems (the worst being a problem starting/blue smoke) I thought the easiest option (as my mechanical skills are next to zero) would be to find a new van. This is proving to be a bit more difficult than I thought, the bodywork on the vans I have looked at has been worse the my slightly rusty (basically still sound) t4 and anything except a very high mileage example would really be pushing my budget.

So I am back to thinking that having a re-conditioned engine might be the way to go.

I know there will be a few variables to factor in but any idea what sort of (pall park) cost should I be looking at ?

Does anyone know of a reputable garage/mechanic in the Edinburgh area who can supply and fit a "new" engine,

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
364 Posts
As far as I know a well done re-con engine should cost you around £1600. Beware of the cheaper "£800" jobs, as far as I know people have had some bad experiences with these as you can't do a decent re-con for that price (eg using cheap parts etc)

I am sure someone will be able to recommend somewhere to you. I kind of think the same though, if at some time my engine decides to die/explode/fail/die then I will keep the T4 I have and just replace the engine rather than look for a another one...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Thanks a lot for all the advice, especially that a £800 recon probably isn't a good investment.

I need to make a decision soon though has I am really missing having the van.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you're lucky you can find someone looking to sell thier old engine after doing a TDI upgrade.

Expect to pay 200-400. Probably okay if your not doing huge milage in the van.

I bought one with 200,000 on the clock but was in much better condition than my 140,000 mile one that wasn't maintained

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I am not doing a huge milage (work from home, so the van is just for weekend trips and the odd holiday).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts