VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 T4 (although I think that the aerials are standard across all of them)

We've managed to snap two aerials in the last year due to overhanging branches and whatnot. (you get a different story depending upon if you ask me or my good lady...) I:

Before I shell out on another like this

I wondered if anyone had replaced their standard aerial with something a bit more robust like one of the bendy ones.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi. I done mine with a neat small one with a coil in the middle. As the origanals are not cheap. I dont have any reception problems

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi new to this but think I may be able to offer some tips .
I opened up the front map light and found the roof metal and drilled a little hole , went to halfords and got ripped off , and got a bendy aeriel popped it in , not forgetting to sand paint off inside to make a good contact .
Then I ran wire alono roof lining down a piller quite hard to get plastic off but be careful and hey presto no more problems with reception , if you do just make a better contact to roof ie sand a bit more
Hope it helps ....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hello vaughan,

I've gone in circles with radio antenna / aerial replacement. I just ended up keeping the cheap eBay one (I think its was like £12.00 at the time).

The original antenna is apparently poorly designed, as it sits in front of the a pillar which interferes with signal reception. The later model T4 Caravelle and other variants have windscreen antenna (like the DAB sticker antenna type). But it’s no use if you haven’t got this set up from factory.

I’ve read success stories of people removing the original antenna and replacing with “bee sting” or “shark fin” type roof antennas (BMWs and Audis have them at the rear of the roof). But it means making a hole on the roof, re-wiring, and buying the kit, at which point it didn’t warrant the money, time and effort just to improve radio reception.

Have a look around on the Internet and see what solution suits your need.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks, I think that I'll just get another replacement. My sparky skills are limited!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts