VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have an 05 T5 VW transporter and it started leaking transmission fluid last week. A local garage have refilled the fluid but it just keeps leaking out. They have also said it needs a new gearbox and the cost will be £3850 plus VAT. Does this sound about the right price ? Any advice would be great . It cost me £5k in April for engine work so I really cant be paying another large amount. Im also concerned that this is just the start of a catalogue of issues with my car

·
Special Rapporteur
10,954 Posts
I guess there's two aspects to this: does a leaking gearbox really need to be replaced? Can the leak not be fixed? I think the only way to know the answer to that would be to take it elsewhere and get a second opinion.

As to the price - it depends. If it's a brand new VW-supplied part then I doubt it's far wrong, but you could check yourself by phoning a VW Commercial main dealer and asking how much the part costs - all they will need is the vehicle reg. number. But if it's a used part dropped straight out of the bottom of a scrapped van and "reconditioned" with a jetwasher then it's probably overpriced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts