VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace the head unit in the T5 with an after market unit. I am guessing that I am also going to have to purchase an adapter to convert from the VW connection to the standard ISO connection but can anyone advise if this will do the job? It doesn't mention the T5 specifically but I am guessing that VW are not quite so perverse as to alter the head unit connections according to the model of car\van it is fitted to.

It also looks like I am going to have to run in a pair of wires for the illumination and the ignition as well which shouldn't prove too much of an issue but any tips on how to achieve this with the minimum of hassle wouldn't be unappreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
What year is your van?

Mine's a 55 and it was just a straight swap for the alpine that I put in. All i had to do was add some pins for the rear speaker connections.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year is your van?

Mine's a 55 and it was just a straight swap for the alpine that I put in. All i had to do was add some pins for the rear speaker connections.
54 plate - looking at putting in the Alpine CDE-9882Ri head unit which has the ISO connection as standard so hopefully it will swap straight over then.

Was the aerial fitting any different or is that standard as well?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just been through this myself - lots of minor problems but easy to overcome with the info on this forum.

Mine is an 06 plate and I wanted to fit a JVC head unit (a few years old) with ISO fitting. The plugs in the van's wiring pluged straight into the ISO fitting on the back of the radio BUT the positions of the permanent live and ignition switched live were the wrong way round. The unit woked fine but there was no memory function so all radio presets and CD location etc were lost each time the ignition was switched off.

So I went to Halfords and looked for an adapter to swap the two live feeds over. The one in the catalogue looked just like the one in your link but this didn't match the van's wiring. Instead I found PC2-18-4 which was also listed for VW and matched the van's wiring. This adapter has a bridging wire between the two live terminals so that they are both permanent lives. With this fitted the radio memory worked fine but it wouldn't switch off when the key was removed as there was no ignition switched live. I wasn't happy with this, plus the central locking no longer worked on the key fob with this adapter fitted.

I could see that the problem was the bridging wire sending 12V back down the ignition switched wire so I got a pair of snips and cut this wire out of the adapter completely. Now the central locking worked properly again but the radio had no memory once more. To solve this I just removed the two live wires out of the ISO plug in the adapter and put them back in the other way round - all worked as intended.

In summary, either adapt an adapter like I did, persevere and find the correct adapter or simply swap the positions of the two live wires in the plug in the van's existing wiring.

It really wasn't that hard but I was quite fussy in that I wanted it working correctly without altering the van's original wiring.

Good luck, I'll post more details if you want them.

Alastair.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I recently put an Alpine 9871RR in and it was a straight swap for the tape unit that was in there. Didn't even need that silly stubby aerial adapter you normally need.

I did have a few issues trying to get my old one out without the stereo keys. I would advise buying the keys to save hours of frustration and bleeding fingers!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Oh yeah, I had the memory problem too with my Alpine (fyi it's a double din). The switched live and perm live connections on the backof my head unit had bullet connectors in-line though (think most do), I just swapped them over (eg now the colours don't match before they hit the ISO plug). Ariel fitting was just as with vw head unit. (awful English I know!)

·
Registered
316 Posts
hi there as everyone says standard iso connectors will do the job this encorperates the dimming function and the ignition etc, you will need to swap the connections over between the yellow and the red wires (standard colours) so the red will now go to the yellow and vise versa that will solve the memory issues...hope this helps you certainly should not be waisting any money on more wiring items!:ILU:

·
Registered
450 Posts
if you are very careful you can pop out the lugs from the connectors of the yellow and red wires.
these can then be swapped over without any furthere connections.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thought I'd revive this dead thread rather than start a new one.

I've fitted an Alpine ISO head unit into my T4 (2001) and all seemed to be fine. I've got a slow drain on the battery though and this is the only thing that isn't stock so I've been investigating.

I guessed it might be that the battery and ignition supply were the wrong way round so I got the voltmeter out to confirm which was which.

I'm getting 12v down both wires whether the ignition is on or off. I'm not sure what the ignition supply is supposed to do but I am guessing that that is wrong. Does anyone know if this indicates a different problem? Maybe ignition switch?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ok. On your Alpine wiring loom, you need to swap the yellow to the red and red to the yellow. This will initially give you the correct positions for the power supply and the switched live. Yellow at the Stereo side must be constant live. Hold the red wire that comes OUT of the head unit and dissconnect it. Find a switched ignition live at the fuse box (typically black coming out of the ignition switch and connect it to this with a 5amp in line fuse. On your van of this year the switched wire for the stereo is one of its own coming out of the barrel and would appear to have been byepassed. This will work. Of course to be sure, unplug your stereo overnight to determine this is indeed the problem. Good luck.

Rob.

ps.

You should have posted this on the T4 site across the road. This is the T5 side of the road! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts