VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there any steering wheels that are a direct replacement for my 97T4? If needs be I will get an aftermarket boss kit but as I am always looking at keeping prices down if anyone knows of a nice wheel that fits straight on i'd be eager to hear off them!

·
Registered
185 Posts
i have fitted polo steering wheels in my vans, they fit the shaft but dont quite go down far enough to cancel the indicators or for the horn to work lol. im going to try source some longer stalk fitting screws and space them up closer to the wheel.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a shame about the indicator and the horn, I think it would annoy me too much having to self cancel the indicators. I might just have to cough up the cash and go for a second hand momo wheel and get a boss kit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got a MK2 golf one on my '93 caravelle, slightly too short to make the horn work etc, but I reemed a couple of mm off the inside bottom edge, now it fits a treat and everything works as it should, it's nice having four horn buttons too!

·
Registered
85 Posts
After takin my Mini for a spin today i decided the same! My steering wheel in van is waay to big. The Mini one is small and fatter...shall watch to see if there is an easy way for me to swap mine...a photo explaination of someone doing it would be fab! T:...and to be able to keep self cancelling indicators and horn is a definate plus!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Got a nice leather 3 spoke effort on mine from an Audi 80/90 Quattro, but it needed a combination of the original Audi boss and an aftermarket T4 boss kit to make the horn/indicators work as designed.
The bottom line is many VW/Audi wheels will fit the splines, but most if not all need modification to the horn contacts and self-cancelling.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I got a momo on mine and have both problems, whats needed to get the horn to work then ?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
i have a porsche wheel in my 95 van, small spline fits fine!. although, no horn or indicators but i've got my original wheel for the mot!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts