VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 2.5 Diesel T4 and the exhaust pipe has broken off the rear of the cat just at MOT time! Just Kampers do not seem to stock a replacement cat for my van but I have read that I don't actually need a cat on a diesel and can replace it with the front pipe from a 1996 - 1998 2.4 diesel T4. Is this the case and if so wouldn't I also need a down pipe from a 1.9 as well?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Get it to a welder, i am sure someone can fix that ! Mot rules say if its had it from factory then it should be there...Its not just a visual check, they will also put it on the smoke meter, without a cat it may fail...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a 2003 2.5 Diesel T4 and the exhaust pipe has broken off the rear of the cat just at MOT time! Just Kampers do not seem to stock a replacement cat for my van but I have read that I don't actually need a cat on a diesel and can replace it with the front pipe from a 1996 - 1998 2.4 diesel T4. Is this the case and if so wouldn't I also need a down pipe from a 1.9 as well?
The 2.4 exhaust is the one you need. The MOT rules mentioned above are correct but most mechanics wont either know it should have a CAT or can be bothered to find out. Whilst he's fannying around checking his £££ bonus alarm will be ringing in his head. o_O
Have a look on your slam panel & look for your emissions sticker that will say 0.8 - accidentally scratch that off the corner or drop some paint on it & your emissions will magically be allowed to raise to 3.0 . Most garages will just give it a smoke test anyway if they don't see the number due to its age.
The 2.4 pipe looks the same as a 2.5 anyway or it did on my 2002's .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts