VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one help, have a 2.4d 5cyl, runs really slow, i have been told that it may be the diesel pump, does any one know of anywhere in surrey/sussex that can repair it, I have been quoted £1000, I think this is very expensive. Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
firstly what do you mean very slow? the 2.4 non turbo isnt the fastest thing in the world at the best of times and if your dragging a full camper kit and a high roof its even worse. if the van starts no problem and revs smoothly and freely then i think you need to look elsewhere,choked fuel or air filter or possibly timing out slightly. these pumps arent the worst thing in the world and i wouldnt condemn it so easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it ran fine until the choke cable snapped and it ran on full choke for a week, now it starts fine , but will not rev very well, have had it for 4 years and this is the slowest it has been, I know they are not fast but 20mph up a small hill is too slow, it is not a camper, just a straight forward 8 seater, I have tried a diesel injector cleaner but I have had no luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it ran fine until the choke cable snapped and it ran on full choke for a week, now it starts fine , but will not rev very well, have had it for 4 years and this is the slowest it has been, I know they are not fast but 20mph up a small hill is too slow, it is not a camper, just a straight forward 8 seater, I have tried a diesel injector cleaner but I have had no luck. Also it does not rev easily and cleanly.

·
Registered
354 Posts
hi again,cant remember off hand what that cable does but im fairly certain its not a "choke" as such,im sure when you pull the underdash lever it speeds up the idle rather than acting as a choke,i.e dosent give it extra fuel to start. More than likely operates a mechanical lever on the side of the pump which opens a spindle valve to allow idle to raise on a cold morning.My guess is if you follow the cable remains to where it mounts on the pump you will be able to manually open and close the pump spindle and if necessary jam it open or closed until a new cable is fitted.If a new cable is fitted and the problem still there then check cable adjustment and spindal position,it should move when someone pulls the cable and you watch. Id be surprised if you need a pump but without actually seeing the van in our workshop its hard to tell.Lee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply, i have fitted a new cable, and is does move the arm, but the van still is very slow, any more help would be very appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts