VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering if anyone had any vidoes or photos on how to completely replace rear wheel arches, thinking of having a go on mine and my dads vans rather than just doing a repair job, any help is much appreciated, many thanks :D

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
Hint Joel, try in Bodywork and Exterior section....
General Chat, is just that...chat about anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys just wondering if anyone had any vidoes or photos on how to completely replace rear wheel arches, thinking of having a go on mine and my dads vans rather than just doing a repair job, any help is much appreciated, many thanks :D
just done mine - sliding doors off. Trim the repair panel to about 20mm below swage line. Mark out your cut -I bought a cheap flaning tool from eBay which worked ok. Cut 10mm inside your line and flange the van. Cut around the arch edge but angle the wheel upwards to avoid cutting the inner arch. Grind back the arch itself and drill out the spotwelds. Carefully prise off the outer arch.
8237399C-2EC1-40E5-B7E0-3D9BCB0E68F3.jpeg

I had to repair round the bumper mounts so measure before cutting and make a drawing.

I had to make small repairs to the inner - made these up and butt welded in. Grind and treat any other rust then paint the inner.

Clamp in place then spot weld to secure - every three inches, let it cool, then in the middle of the welds, cool, repeat until fully welded. Grind flush and fill. This was the first time I’ve done it and it looks good, I used seam sealer to hold the arch lip together as the fit wasn’t perfect.

0EEC5D9B-56A4-4302-8083-C9FCF7C84570.jpeg

Vw heritage klokkerheim panel - wierd fit at the bumper mount corners, needed cutting and hammering to fit.
sliding door side was a pig as the corner in front of the wheel inner was missing - used the corner of a door sill to make the inner repair. Otherwise method was the same but need side door off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts