VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a how to guide to fitting a large hole spline vw steering wheel to your 1990-96 T4.
I own a 1992 T4 caravelle GL and this is exactly how I fitted the replacement wheel.
If your steering wheel is like mine and has totally de glued itself from the inner frame around the top or just want to upgrade, read on.;)

Early mk2 golfs, polos, jettas etc have the same small hole splines as early T4's. I have heard they fit but the horn
and indicator cancelling does not work, an adaptor needs to be made so the horn and indicator cancelling reaches.
Later vw's used a bush which is basically an adaptor that has the small spines internally with large dia splines on the outside.
This means a late mk2 golf gti steering wheel (as I have used here) fits fine and the horn and indicator cancelling still work.

1st thing you need to find is a late mk2 golf or early mk3 golf(Jetta, Corrado etc from the same era 1990's), this should have the required bush that you will need.

I found a 1990 (H reg) mk2 golf gti in my local breakers, and this is how I removed the bush.
Remove the steering wheel, to expose the bush, as shown here.

Next it might be a good idea to remove the stalks to make it easier to get the puller on the bush.

There is not much of a lip to put the puller legs on so a good quality puller is a must.
Some bushes litterally fall off and some are very stubborn, all down to luck, mine was not too hard to remove.

Here is a picture of the removed bush, unfortunately its too long so some will have to be removed from the end.

The shortened bush, I have very carefully hacksawn and filed flat and level the end so the bush is approx 33-34mm
long total length.

Next remove your steering wheel from your T4, and clean off the splines.
Put a small amount of copper slip grease on the splines to aid removal in the future. (You never know!)
Locate the bush on the splines ensuring its the correct way round, and using a couple of washers as packing, fit and do up the
steering wheel centre fixing nut to insert the bush fully onto your column.

This is what it should look like after the bush is fully home.

Thats it, you are ready to install your new steering wheel.
This is the gap I have to the steering colum covers, about 3mm approx, as you can see the horn contact is touching correctly.

I had to put a thick (3mm) washer the same diameter as the steering wheel centre locking nut under the centre fixing nut so the nut is clamping onto the steering wheel correctly.

So in summary, £15 for the bush and a tidy late Golf gti mk2 steering wheel.LOL:
£15 and a couple of hours one afternoon well spent.
I chose this steering wheel because its chunkier, a bit smaller (360mm dia) and keeps the factory look.

Hope this helps and inspires owners of early T4's to get rid of that old, de-glued or just plain large standard wheel.
Cheers.
Steve.T:

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The puller I have is a Sykes Pickivant 2 or 3 leg puller.
Go to this link for one similar from Machine mart. (£9.39)
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht250-8way-reversible-100mm-puller
I was lucky and the bush came off quite easily but if you are struggling to get yours off heat it up, it will expand and should come off much easier.
If you have no puller then I would probably cut through the column below the bush with a hack saw take it home and hold the bush in a vice and drive the centre out using a puch or something similar.

Any more questions, please ask.T:

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, Thanks for this great and detailed solution for the old **** steering-wheel problem on the older T4's.
I purchased a Mk2 Golf GTI steering wheel similar to the one you've used here, but couldn't get one in leather, Pt No. 191 419 091 off ebay, but couldn't find a spline step-up adapter anywhere.
So I eventually phoned my local VW main dealer and to my surprise, they had an adapter in stock - Pt No. 191 419 514 at only £9.59 inc vat, nice surprise and at a bargain price.:)
I proceeded with your mod of cutting it down to 34mm total length and at the correct end, but it doesn't seem to look exactly as yours does, it looks longer on the shank after the taper?.
Is it possible that 34mm is a mistake or is it just the way it looks in your photo? mine looks to have a longer straight shank after the ridge?
Anyway I continued with the rest of your mod and all seemed to be going well, until I put the wheel on and found that the gap between the wheel and the steering column covers is greater than the 3mm you show in your photos? consequently the horn contact will not meet? it's about 8mm wide.:(
I'm not sure whether it's because I have not driven the adapter sleeve far enough home or the 34mm total length is too long? any thoughts on this? Many thanks, Paul.:confused:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi, Thanks for this great and detailed solution for the old steering-wheel problem on the older T4's.
I purchased a Mk2 Golf GTI steering wheel similar to the one you've used here, but couldn't get one in leather, Pt No. 191 419 091 off ebay, but couldn't find a spline step-up adapter anywhere.
So I eventually phoned my local VW main dealer and to my surprise, they had an adapter in stock - Pt No. 191 419 514 at only £9.59 inc vat, nice surprise and at a bargain price.:)
I proceeded with your mod of cutting it down to 34mm total length and at the correct end, but it doesn't seem to look exactly as yours does, it looks longer on the shank after the taper?.
Is it possible that 34mm is a mistake or is it just the way it looks in your photo? mine looks to have a longer straight shank after the ridge?
Anyway I continued with the rest of your mod and all seemed to be going well, until I put the wheel on and found that the gap between the wheel and the steering column covers is greater than the 3mm you show in your photos? consequently the horn contact will not meet? it's about 8mm wide.:(
I'm not sure whether it's because I have not driven the adapter sleeve far enough home or the 34mm total length is too long? any thoughts on this? Many thanks, Paul.:confused:
same problem on mine,i just bent the horn contact out to touch and cut the plastic bit that works the indicators off the old wheel and plastic welded it with a soldering iron onto the new wheel an its perfect

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi

This is all very interesting stuff looking at replacing my tatty steering wheel but were are the pictures all i see is a box stating:

This image or Video has been moved or deleted (Photobucket)

Mick

·
Registered
56 Posts
The puller I have is a Sykes Pickivant 2 or 3 leg puller.
Go to this link for one similar from Machine mart. (£9.39)
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht250-8way-reversible-100mm-puller

Cheers

Steve
Went to link but item no longer available - try here instead https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/product/clarke_1801250/cht250-8way-reversible-100mm-puller/

Excellent Thread and look forward to getting rid of my cludgy old steering wheel at the first available opportunity!T:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm needing to do this soon as my wheel has become de-glued round the whole wheel.

I'll take photographs as I go and start a new thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts