VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

My Father and I are going to replace the worn out camshaft and rocker gear in my 2005 2.5 TDI Transporter.

I am in the process of ordering the necessary parts and want to make sure I get everything we need.

So I need:
The camshaft
8x lifters
10x camshaft bearings
1x camshaft oil seal.
1x timing belt (we will do this seeing as we need to take this off anyway)

Has anyone had experience performing this task and know if there are any other parts required to get it done?

Is it really necessary to replace all the bolts?

Thanks in advance
Ollie

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Hi Folks,

My Father and I are going to replace the worn out camshaft and rocker gear in my 2005 2.5 TDI Transporter.

I am in the process of ordering the necessary parts and want to make sure I get everything we need.

So I need:
The camshaft
8x lifters
10x camshaft bearings
1x camshaft oil seal.
1x timing belt (we will do this seeing as we need to take this off anyway)

Has anyone had experience performing this task and know if there are any other parts required to get it done?

Is it really necessary to replace all the bolts?

Thanks in advance
Ollie
There is no belt as its gear driven, the locking tools to do the job are around £300 and DON'T try to do the job without them as the engine will never run right afterwards.
I did a cam change on my 04 T5 2.5 a couple of months ago, if I get time later I will post up the list of parts required but there is much more needed like all the stretch bolts, crankcase/ cylinder head bungs where the locking tool goes in and a locking tool is required.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help there,

If you do get a chance to list all the required parts it would be much appreciated.

Do you remember what it costed you all up to do this job. the mechanic quoted me $5000 AU which I can nowhere near afford.

·
Super Moderator
9,212 Posts
If your in the UK you shouldn't pay more than around $4000 around £1900.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard that there is a non return oil valve under the head that gets weak and lets oil past when the engine is stopped, so for a while when the engine is started it causes oil starvation to the cam causing it to fail over time.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Just to complicate an already highly expensive and awkward repair, checking this valve apparently requires the head to be removed.

Never again will I buy a VW...

·
Super Moderator
9,212 Posts
I have heard that there is a non return oil valve under the head that gets weak and lets oil past when the engine is stopped, so for a while when the engine is started it causes oil starvation to the cam causing it to fail over time.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Just to complicate an already highly expensive and awkward repair, checking this valve apparently requires the head to be removed.

Never again will I buy a VW...
I've replaced a few 5 pot heads and never seen a nrv in the heads :* the only nrv I've seen is on the fuel rail to stop the fuel running back to the fuel tank. Thinking about it now there is one in the block.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is no belt as its gear driven, the locking tools to do the job are around £300 and DON'T try to do the job without them as the engine will never run right afterwards.
I did a cam change on my 04 T5 2.5 a couple of months ago, if I get time later I will post up the list of parts required but there is much more needed like all the stretch bolts, crankcase/ cylinder head bungs where the locking tool goes in and a locking tool is required.
Is it possible to do this job without timing tool ? I am asking as my local garage is just putting mine bac together they have marked everything up and put bac in same position and say they don't need a timing tool , a bit worrying if you say it can't be done without ?

·
Super Moderator
9,212 Posts
If your replacing the camshaft then the cam gear needs to be removed. This will need to be setup with preload and backlash of the gears. Also the torque requirement to do the cam gear up is 150nm so I would like to see how that's done without the clamps and locking tools..good luck

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Is it possible to do this job without timing tool ? I am asking as my local garage is just putting mine bac together they have marked everything up and put bac in same position and say they don't need a timing tool , a bit worrying if you say it can't be done without ?
What parts have actually been changed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts