VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I wonder if anyone can give me any guidance on replacing both the track rods on my 1998 VW T4. I had an advisory at the last MOT of "play" in the inner ball joints and I have noticed a slight knocking noise for some time now which sounds like it is coming from behind the dashboard area, particularly on bumpy roads. I have purchased a pair of Meyle HD track rods with new track rod ends.

I am now back in France (where I live) and don't want to pay out a for garage to do the job if I can manage it myself?

I have read I need a special tool, but saw a video on youtube (not a very good video!!) where someone did the job without?

I have axle stands. I guess that I need a 32mm spanner to undo the inner rod from the steering rack?

Do I need a ball joint splitter or can I mangae without?

Couldn't find a guide on here? I'm fairly handy spanner wise. So is it a diy job? Any handy tips? I'm going to replace the arb bushes at the same time.

Cheers T4francais

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Measure the exposed threads on each track rod, or count the threads.(it doesn't matter if you count the tips or the valleys, whichever is easier) when you fit the new track rods you need the measurements to be the same.

When it comes to balljoint removal get the nuts all the way off the threads before you try to remove the balljoints. Use a pair of hammers. If one is bigger than the other put it behind the upright and hit the upright with the other one. This way the full force of your hammer blow will be fed into the upright. These things usually get frozen in place with a mixture of rust and friction so you have to be quite brutal with the hammers but it is very satisfying when they pop free

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Measure the exposed threads on each track rod, or count the threads.(it doesn't matter if you count the tips or the valleys, whichever is easier) when you fit the new track rods you need the measurements to be the same.

When it comes to balljoint removal get the nuts all the way off the threads before you try to remove the balljoints. Use a pair of hammers. If one is bigger than the other put it behind the upright and hit the upright with the other one. This way the full force of your hammer blow will be fed into the upright. These things usually get frozen in place with a mixture of rust and friction so you have to be quite brutal with the hammers but it is very satisfying when they pop free

Great so I don't need a balljoint splitter. Sounds straightforward. What about undoing the 32mm nut on the inner joint? Do I need a special tool to hold the steering rack tight whilst I undo the steering arm? Don't want to damage the rack!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just make sure u have a spanner big enough that's all. I usually dial in the steering rack, on the side im working on, as far as possible so its nearer the centre of the van. If u bring the rod out as far as possible so its nearer the arch then the rack arm where the rod screws on to can move a bit when u try to unscrew the rod. It's a fairly simple job but can be fiddly to get enough room to swing the spanner for the inner track rod. I always get the tracking sorted afterwards and recommend u get it done too. Good luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just make sure u have a spanner big enough that's all. I usually dial in the steering rack, on the side im working on, as far as possible so its nearer the centre of the van. If u bring the rod out as far as possible so its nearer the arch then the rack arm where the rod screws on to can move a bit when u try to unscrew the rod. It's a fairly simple job but can be fiddly to get enough room to swing the spanner for the inner track rod. I always get the tracking sorted afterwards and recommend u get it done too. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts