VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My van exhaust is rusted and needs replacing, front and back box and I can only assume all the pipes in-between! I love a project and I am extremely handy but wondered if this is something I can do myself if I could get a safe jack system or figure out how to get under the van safely with some room.

Has anyone else done this themselves?

I am also looking for an improved exhaust, not for noise or necessarily performance but perhaps stainless steel and a nicer finish on the end. Mine has a single exhaust pipe and looks pretty pathetic and dull so wanted perhaps a twin finish.

I have a 1.9 diesel 2005 T5 remapped which is low mileage and in great condition. I am really trying to keep it maintained but live by the sea hence the rust occurring.

Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Hi mate

Exhaust is pretty easy to do, use a 3 ton jack and 3 ton axle stands

there is plenty of space to work underneath a T5. Get yourself an angle grinder and cut your old exhaust in 2 places to make it easier to remove. If you have a DPF remember your new stainless stem is really only about 3/4 length as the last 1/4 is pipework from the DPF which needs to stay on the van. You new system will come in a few pieces so its easier to reassemble a new one, your backbox style is up to you what you want, but the principle of changing it is the same.

if you need any help or more info let me know (y)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts