VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been asked loads of times I know... I I was to prep the bus myself I.e. remove all bodywork / trim da the bodywork all over. How much do you think it would reduce the cost of the paint job by?

·
Registered
17 Posts
To be honest it wouldnt reduce the price much as its the prep time you pay for and the materials used! it can take me upto a week to prep a van for paint (on my own) and only a couple of hours to paint it.

Also i lot of bodyshops like myself would tell you if you prep it yourself then the finished van is down to your prepwork and would be no come backs and no guarantee on the work.

Id save up and get it done properly end of the day you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like to play a part in all that happens to the bus though that's the thing. I know a £2k respray would look better than me prepping and paying someone to spray it. I'd be happier though. You say the prep work on your own takes a week but me doing the prep work wouldn't reduce the price much.. Surely it would as that is the most labour intensive part of the job?

·
Registered
17 Posts
it would prob knock a couple of hundred off if you preped it yourself but then would probably cost you what youve saved for all your preping materials, primers, sanding, etch, masking, ect.

£2K is not a bad price although i can prob be cheaper than that and include colour coding.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Unless what your saying is you'd prep the van ready inc primer if needed and flat it all back so all the bodyshop has to do is mask it up and shoot the paint. That will save you a substantial sum however as has been said it would be down to you what the finish was like.
The paint is only as good as the prep work underneath it, and ive been asked to paint stuff in the past that has supposedly been prep'd but which I wouldn't paint due to it being so bad.
Its the one part of the process that needs to be done properly and running over it with a DA is not going to give you a surface ready for paint.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
it would prob knock a couple of hundred off if you preped it yourself but then would probably cost you what youve saved for all your preping materials, primers, sanding, etch, masking, ect.

£2K is not a bad price although i can prob be cheaper than that and include colour coding.
By chance did you paint T4LIFE,s van

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unless what your saying is you'd prep the van ready inc primer if needed and flat it all back so all the bodyshop has to do is mask it up and shoot the paint. That will save you a substantial sum however as has been said it would be down to you what the finish was like.
The paint is only as good as the prep work underneath it, and ive been asked to paint stuff in the past that has supposedly been prep'd but which I wouldn't paint due to it being so bad.
Its the one part of the process that needs to be done properly and running over it with a DA is not going to give you a surface ready for paint.
i couldn't have put it better myself!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts