VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T4 or T5

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I've not posted on this site in years but find myself looking at it for options all the time. Now I'm stumped.

We have a quite rusty, run down converted T4. I'm looking at restoring it, full rust repair, respray and a bunch of stuff adding inside, also changing the layout from the typical camper to a permanent full width bed with a fridge and worktop.

It has an electrical fault, a back door that wont open, lots of body rust and structural rust and I have to park facing downhill or it won't start.

My question is, do I spend the money repairing this or look at buying a T5 that's been lined and get a bed fitted or buy a T5 all done. Any advice would be great. If I go for the restoration I'd love to have it done by the summer but really am struggling to find someone who can take on that amount of work.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Premium Member
T4 all day, just my personal opinion,just be a matter of time until we start seeing more full nut and bolt resto's of T4,s like the T25,bays and splittys that came before .
Just wish someone would take mine on馃槈Good luck what ever you decide

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
T4 all day, just my personal opinion,just be a matter of time until we start seeing more full nut and bolt resto's of T4,s like the T25,bays and splittys that came before .
Just wish someone would take mine on馃槈Good luck what ever you decide
Thanks Smudger01, it's an effort just to find people who will take on a T4 never mind have the time to do so much work but hopefully I can fins someone soon!

Premium Member
I think it comes down to sentimental value and cost of doing such a restoration vs buying a t5 that potentially shouldn't need anything doing. I'm on my first van so not much knowledge about the T4's, but could be a great journey.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I think it comes down to sentimental value and cost of doing such a restoration vs buying a t5 that potentially shouldn't need anything doing. I'm on my first van so not much knowledge about the T4's, but could be a great journey.
Thanks Pduk, I think you are right, my girlfriend is definitely more attached to the T4 but having air bags can never be overlooked :)

Premium Member
Thanks Pduk, I think you are right, my girlfriend is definitely more attached to the T4 but having air bags can never be overlooked :)
It's certainly worth making a pro's and con's list and comparing the 2 to look at it purely from your head point of view, then factor in what your heart is saying...could you see yourself parting with the T4?

Premium Member
Im sort of a cross roads now with my t4 all of the mechanical side done(well up to date anyway never completely done on a 20 year old van) So down to body work still not to bad but needs wings and arches doing and other bits n pieces but Would need to pay someone to do it.
Body work sorted and a respray on top of what ive already spent would outstrip value of the Van.
So do i keep a reliable, trusted old bus and spend a bit of money to make it even better or sell and potentially buy a newer money pit. I probably know already what I'll do but its convincing the head its the right thing馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Im sort of a cross roads now with my t4 all of the mechanical side done(well up to date anyway never completely done on a 20 year old van) So down to body work still not to bad but needs wings and arches doing and other bits n pieces but Would need to pay someone to do it.
Body work sorted and a respray on top of what ive already spent would outstrip value of the Van.
So do i keep a reliable, trusted old bus and spend a bit of money to make it even better or sell and potentially buy a newer money pit. I probably know already what I'll do but its convincing the head its the right thing馃
Almost my dilemma apart form the fact my van has a ton of issues, electrical fault with the alternator, can't start it if it facing up the smallest of slope and the rust if quite bad, the cost of getting it fixed far outweighs the value it would have. Having said that it is really reliable and I have never had any major issues, it's always a risk that if you buy something else you can sink a ton of money into it...

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
It's certainly worth making a pro's and con's list and comparing the 2 to look at it purely from your head point of view, then factor in what your heart is saying...could you see yourself parting with the T4?
I'm trying to but getting the costings is proving an issue! No quotes for the repair work yet and all the extras just gets confusing, even an awning needs adaptors just to make it work on the correct side of the van! hence why it would be nice to drop it off, pick it up 3 weeks later all done :)

Premium Member
I would certainly say that spending a little money sorting the electrical faults etc so at least its a starting, running and driving van and if you do decide to part company at least it wouldn't be for spares money.
I had a T4 velle auto a few years back and the gearbox gave up the ghost and was going to cost a few grand to sort everything so i sold it as a none runner and regretted it ever since,even the misses had a tear in her eye.
The Van has since been sorted and back on the road!.
I had a break for a year or two then bought another T4 velle auto of all thi gs ,go figure馃.
Yeah certainly look at the pros and cons of both but sometimes better the devil you know.
Your defo in the right place very knowledgeable Guys on here always willing to help馃憤馃憤

Registered
I'd say a lot depends on your budget - rust repair and restoration could easily run into the thousands.
Have a look at some T5 vans - then factor in on top of that how much it'd cost to convert to your desired spec.
Then have a look at some pre-converted vans and see if they're gonna be affordable and tick the necessary boxes.

Personally I'd concentrate on getting the T4 running properly and fixing it's faults (before any rust etc.)
If you can sort those without breaking the bank, then that may tip the balance towards keeping it and pursuing .
If you're heart is set on a new project it's going to make the T4 much easier to sell on and you'll no doubt get a better price for it too.

Registered
Rust is difficult to sort out properly without spending serious coin, i would sell yours as spares/or repair and look for a tidy bus to convert as per your new layout...I would put the money towards the new van unless the old was sound mechanically ! I have a clean body on my t4 and a sound mechanical base but i am still looking for a multivan and start fresh- a 150 Bhp would do my nicely, even thoug mine is no slouch either ! I brought my van from uk as i owned it for quite some time but i need AC/climate- summers are very hot overhere !

Registered
I'm in agreement with some of the others when they say the first step is get it starting properly first else you'll be selling it for peanuts .
Surely theres people on here with enough spares,knowledge or contacts to be able to help you with this ?
Theres heaps of buses down south gotta be plenty of enthusiasts and companies not too far away from you .

Registered
IMHO if you want something to use in the sumer - about 4 months away - buy a ready converted van, get out there and enjoy it.

Full of Cr*p....
I've been doing some conversion work for my wife's work friend on her T5....I'd NEVER buy one!
Side door is b*ggered, passenger door sags about 5mm on the hinges, wings are rusty (as are the cills)....
All-in-all......it was supposed to be a "good van", but there's loads more issues with it then my 10 year older T4 (in the same country/area/weather).
I have spotted some serious rust on the INSIDE at the floor level on both sides in the rear.....where the sides join the floor....not easy to notice unless you are removing "things" to fit new panels inside.

Also, the electrics are FAR more complicated (and just as "reliable"!) than a T4.

Registered
I too have your dilemma every day I鈥檓 always looking at new(er) vans should I shouldn鈥檛 I trying to justify the man maths before the 鈥榖oss鈥 roles her eyes at another bus I鈥檝e emailed her to look at 馃槀

plus Your posting in the t4 section where we favour the t4 so may get biased -just slightly, answers towards keeping the t4, as you probably would the t5/t6 lads swaying towards there models....

if you can get it up a height at someone鈥檚 garage even if you have to pay an hours labour, have a poke around with a screwdriver, a magnet and a camera take plenty of pics of what you see, post the, up here and peeps with far more experience than me can have a looksy and advise on how much it鈥檚 cost them to do arches floors , or it looks sound etc......

good luck either way you decide 馃憤

Registered
I tackled rust on my T4 from 2002 in July 2019. In less than 6 months, brown spots & small bubbles appeared again.

So i have spent many hours on my T4 (year 2002) in the last couple of weeks, replacing wheel arches front & rear, and replacing bits of the side window frames (cutting out & welding new bits in). Replacement panel sections are very cheap imho (15 euro per wheel arch), it's the labour that costs you.

My experience: every bit of rusty panel which isnt replaced by welding new patches in will rust again in a matter of months, no matter how well you try to grind away the rust. Only metal on which you can grind away all rust (ie not a single small pit of rust remains) will not start to bubble again in a short period of time. Every spot with bubbles of rust underneath the paint will have to be cut out and new metal welded. Every window which has rust along the edges will have to come out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts