VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got a cruise control fitted at the local VW dealer about 8 months ago. It works OK at high speeds, but when I try to set it at 30mph it will accelerate, quite rapidly, up to as high as 40mph all by itself. Quite un-nerving, and in danger of getting me speeding tickets.

I've asked about it at the dealers, and they're a bit vague, saying "I wouldn't expect it to work at 30mph" or "I'll phone VW technical". I've been a bit slack about chasing them up - never quite seems top of my list - but I've not heard anything back from them. I've demonstrated it to someone there so they've witnessed it.

Anyone else had similar experiences? This is an official VW part from an official VW van centre in Glasgow.

Here's the barcode FYI:

Not sure if I should just accept this or not. Our Subaru Forrester's factory-fitted cruise works perfectly at 30mph.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,800 Posts
Why accept it when the Owner's Manual clearly says that it should operate (correctly, I assume) at speeds between 19 and 112 MPH? It surely can't be that hard for a VW dealer to look that up.

If you are sure that you are using it correctly and pressing the SET rather than the RESUME button then the first guess would be a fault with the switches in the stalk. They (or anyone with VCDS) should be able to check correct operation of the switches via the van's diagnostic port.

[Edit: I don't recognise the part number - is this a retro-fit of the OEM stalk, or one of the ones with a Fisher Price additional stalk?]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info triffic.

I don't think it's an OEM, even though it was fitted in a VW dealer and has a VW badge on the box. I didn't get a manual with it - it all felt quite cheap, as does the stalk.

I think I'm going to have to push back at them about it.

Where did you find the docs about 19-112? Is that in the main booklet for the van?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have the exact same problem with mine I will ring vw customer services tomorrow and let you know what they said, on very rare occasions it works at 30mph with no problem,

I dont even use below 40mph now for this reason just never got round to ringing them about it. if it wasnt meant to work at 30mph it should let you know by not activating and not by speeding up, wish me luck :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the exact same problem with mine I will ring vw customer services tomorrow and let you know what they said, on very rare occasions it works at 30mph with no problem,

I dont even use below 40mph now for this reason just never got round to ringing them about it. if it wasnt meant to work at 30mph it should let you know by not activating and not by speeding up, wish me luck :D
How did you get on? I finally got around to writing to my local dealer today.

It seems to me that this after-market cruise has just got really software in it. To go with the buttons.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Slow hand-clap for VW UK

This is the Poundland cruise control that they retrofitted to Highlines that came without cruise due to their configuration error. VW UK Refused to fit the factory parts because it wasn't safe, fire risk, faeries would die etc etc - and now this. Their cheapskate cruise turns out to cause unexpected acceleration which is a reason for a recall on the vehicle. It is dangerous.

Take the van to HazyDays and get them to rip-out the VW bodge and then fit the correct factory system. Then send the bill to your dealer.

They retrofitted cruise to my Highline and it is perfect.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Slow hand-clap for VW UK

This is the Poundland cruise control that they retrofitted to Highlines that came without cruise due to their configuration error. VW UK Refused to fit the factory parts because it wasn't safe, fire risk, faeries would die etc etc - and now this. Their cheapskate cruise turns out to cause unexpected acceleration which is a reason for a recall on the vehicle. It is dangerous.

Take the van to HazyDays and get them to rip-out the VW bodge and then fit the correct factory system. Then send the bill to your dealer.

They retrofitted cruise to my Highline and it is perfect.
I went to Hazzydayz last Friday and can only highly recommend them. I reckon it was 45 mins from start to finish as the technician has done so many!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts