VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help with fitting a rearview camera to my T5.1 Highline.

I have come to a standstill fitting a Kenwood Universal Rear View Camera CMOS-230 to a Kenwood DNX518DABS stereo on a 2015 VW T5.

The camera installation is complete apart from joining the negative and the live wire from the camera to the reverse wire from the back of the stereo. I have seen youtube videos and it shows a loose wire (purple) that is clearly marked with "Rear Camera". I sadly do not have that! I have attached a few images to show my setup.

You can see purple wires in the images going to a block. Maybe that's it?

Due to lockdown, I cannot get hold of a voltmeter so not possible to test the purple wire marked A for power when in reverse.

If anyone has done this before or knows how to complete the final installation It would be a big help.

Thanks
Wires (1).jpg
Wired 2.jpg
Wires 3.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. My experiences are more with Pioneer (violet and white wire), but... I’m pretty sure The violet wire is the ‘signal’ input, which I picked up from the reverse light + wire. It can be done on the loom under the dash but is a bit more complicated. Even if you pick up a positive and negative feed (red and black), the camera won’t work without the input signal to tell it, it’s in reverse.

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
The original post already has the reverse feed connected to the 518 through the black Canbus box, all that needed doing is connections the cameras red and black wire to the corresponding wires on the 518, this will allow image to be displayed manually (rear view) and when reverse is selected

we never connect the camera it self to the reverse wire as most double din units have manual (rear view) option. Just connect the head unit to the reverse wire or via a CanBus adapter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts