VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Had a look around on the forum and can't find a thread on retro fitting rear sensors.

Has anyone done it?

If so how much and how difficult?

2007 1.9 SWB van.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
4,673 Posts
Hey Folks,

Had a look around on the forum and can't find a thread on retro fitting rear sensors.

Has anyone done it?

2007 1.9 SWB van.

Cheers.
T5 is about the easiest vehicle to fit parking sensors, but as mentioned by James, we do not know your ability in DIY,

Tip, if you decide to install some, make sure they are slightly angled upwards, because the bumper is quite low, and if you have lowered it they will pick up the ground and give false readings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cheers Absalut5 and JamesT5.1

So have a OE rear bumper with sensor holes. Short term I will blank off but would like sensors eventually when I have solved if/how it can be done.

Going the OE route can it be done or am I creating myself a massive problem. I am presuming all cables are in the loom and its plug and play. (I know I have probably simplified the process here so don't shoot me)

If I went none OE route I presume its just buying a kit and finding a power source and routing the cables?

My DIY skills are moderate and I am confident I can do it with the correct info.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,734 Posts
I am presuming all cables are in the loom and its plug and play.
I don't think either is safe to assume. VW have got pretty good at fitting only the wiring for the options the original buyer paid for - so for example when I retro-fitted TPMS to my van (which simply requires two wires) there was no wire in the loom from the dash to the ABS controller.

I believe if you go OEM you will need a control unit and a sounder, which may or may not both be in a single unit (later vans have the sounder at the front under the dash).

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I would agree with triffic, probably need quite a few bits and then connecting it all up and coding into the system. The display is on the headunit in mine there maybe that involved too. It's probably a case of finding someone who has the diagrams and working it all out. I wouldn't say it's impossible but a good understanding of the wiring is essential before you start.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Hey Folks,

Has anyone done it?

2007 1.9 SWB van.

Cheers.
I bought the cheapest, nastiest ones I could find on e-bay.
They run off the reversing light feed.
They even came with a drill to cut the back bumper.
I expected them to last a few weeks as I planned to buy a new back bumper.
Touch-wood, still working after more than a year and still 'beep' at exactly 20cm as per spec.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the bumper with factory sensor holes when I replaced my back bumper.
I was looking for ones to fit flush to look like factory fitted ones and was extremely happy with the results with the laser Line Flush fit rear sensors.
Just had to remove the original sensor holder brackets which was quite easy using a scraper blade or filling knife.
Clean the area with the supplied cleaner before attaching the sensor brackets. I took one of the sensors and held it through the hole from the outer side of the bumper to line up the sensor brackets.
Paint the sensors and install them as per instructions.
They not only fit perfectly in the original holes but also work very well with the basic factory settings.
The module comes with a digital display so you can adjust the sensitivity but I haven't played around with it as yet.
It was quite easy to bring the wires through a rubber grommet behind the bumper along side the tow bar wiring.
This just wired into the reverse light wires and rooted the buzzer wire above the roof lining and into the cab.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, just a quick ask, where is the sounder for the reversing sensors on a 2013 t5.1 ? my van has an aftermarket reverse camera that's fine and what appears to be vw sensors in bumper, that click when you touch but no noise and nothing on stereo 310 (std Trendline? has bluetooth phone etc)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can I ask how you got the wires from the parking sensors, inside the van, to get access to the rear light cluster to tap into the reversing light, as I`m finding any details on how to achieve this difficult to come by.

Hope this all makes sense.

Trev

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this to my van. I've basically bought a new rear bumper but it came with the holes, began trying to find some blanks or something to fill the holes but theres nothing, then thought of buying the cheapest chinese sensors just to fill the holes, but looking at the review from Schuzzy and others about the aftermarket kits I'm thinking I might as well wire them up too.
anybody any experience of the park mate flush fit sensors?
link to ebay listing
£45 isn't bad really

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I used these fenwick, work a treat.
I used these fenwick, work a treat.
now that is cheap. do they fit in the OEM bumper holes?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know what those are fenwick, I had to drill mine with the holecutter provided.
The hardest job was feeding the wires in between bumper and foam core.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
OK had another look at my bumper, the OEM holes are 18mm, the first kit I found were smaller (16.5mm) than that so i'm worried there would be a gap and water and rubbish would get in the holes & cause problems...
biggest flush fit one I could find was 17mm, thats the Cobra 0394, £73
it does say it needs a 17mm hole, and I have an 18mm hole?? I'm not sure if this matters or I'm worrrying about nothing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts