VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've fitted some aftermarket heated seat pads with pre made looms etc. I have run all cables and fitted everything as per instructions. I thought it would be ok to use fuse 19 as an ignition power supply, so I used the piggy back method with 5 amp fuses in. When I switched one heated seat on it seemed to work fine, but when the passenger side was switched on it blew the 5amp fuse. Am I asking too much to draw power for bothseats from the one source (fuse 19)? Or should I just put bigger fuses into the piggy back fuse holder?

Any help much appreciated as I'm so close yet so far!!!!

·
Special Rapporteur
8,759 Posts
Which heated pads are you using? There is more than one company that makes them.

What does the spec say in terms of power per pad? A typical example I looked at said 40W per pad, which equates to approximately 3.5A per pad. So yes - two of them together will blow a 5A fuse.

You can't use Fuse 19 to supply large amounts of power - it's fused at 5A because the wire supplying it is too thin to provide any more, and some of that capacity will already be taken by equipment fitted at the factory.

If you want to take more power than that, a good way would be to install a relay with a heavier duty supply, switched by the power from Fuse 19.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, they are 35w per pad....so 70w in total. Each loom has its own relay and inline fuse on it too. Maybe I could try a 10amp fuse and see how that goes?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, won't be doing that then!

I do have a leisure battery and a split charge relay under the passengers seat, would it be better to connect to that? Assuming that the relay will act as an ignition live that is?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yellowmello , post a link of the heated pads you have bought will make it mush easier for members to help

·
Registered
216 Posts
so run the supplied switch from fuse 19 fuse from the fuse box to relay then continual 10amp feed would be best from your leisure battery

·
Registered
100 Posts
The supply from 19 is just to switch the relay circuit on, the feed to the heaters through the relay should be a dedicated fused supply from the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts